Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: giving up - how do we remove the hand rail at the steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

giving up - how do we remove the hand rail at the steps?

hi guys. y'all were super helpful a couple of years ago when we were trying to get our (circa 1975) inground pool going.

unfortunately, just about everything that could go wrong, has, and we are simply giving up on it, gonna cover it up and just ignore it for the time being.

we never bothered to put the deep-end side ladders back in, but the guys who put in the new liner years ago didn't take out the handrail for the steps.

i don't know if this sort of handrail is permanently cemented in, or if there's a way to remove it.

any helpful hints on how to remove a handrail that's probably not been moved since it was originally installed, in the mid 70's? is there a trick to it that i just can't figure out, or should we just rent a cutter from Home Depot and cut it off?
    Inground, Vinyl 18x37 Grecian (probably 23,000?)
    1 HP Pump + Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter
    "rigged" aboveground plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: giving up - how do we remove the hand rail at the steps?

Have you tried to just wiggle and pull them free? That's how ours come out, from what I gather having watched it as opposed to having done it myself. Usually, there's just some silicone in there. If they haven't been out a while, spraying some water around the area might help flush any debris around the post.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

^sorry, I stand corrected. H. Sez there is a bolt u have to loosen first. If it's stuck, some wd40 might help!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Standard configuration has a bolt(s) holding them in. You should loosen that bolt 6-8 turns and then be able to wiggle it to break the bond and then it will lift out. A pic would be helpful if yours is not standard.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, y'all! i'll do some poking around and if i can't figure it out, i'll post a picture. thanks so much!
    Inground, Vinyl 18x37 Grecian (probably 23,000?)
    1 HP Pump + Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter
    "rigged" aboveground plumbing.

6. Back To Top    #6

The bolt usually pulls up an anchor wedge. When the bolt is loosened, you usually need to tap on the bolt to push the anchor wedge back down. There might be an escutcheon plate covering the anchor cup and bolt.