Think we should tell him...?

I couldn't take any more after 2 minutes. Leave him a comment, and if he gets defensive let it go. Arguing on the internet is pointless. If there's a lot of rainwater, or the pool gets topped off frequently from splashout or a leak, it might be sufficient to keep his CYA in check. Tabs are not the way I'll ever be going again, but who knows? They might be working for him. I don't get the impression that he understands it, but it's possible.

There are many, many people who use Trichlor pucks/tabs either in a floating feeder or an inline chlorinator and in any given year most such pools do not get algae for a variety of reasons (weekly shocking, short swim seasons, summer rains and backwashing water dilution, CYA gone over the winter, use of algaecides or phosphate removers, nutrient-poor water, etc.). So arguing against personal experience is going to be an uphill battle. It would be better to instead say that while such pucks are convenient, they have side effects that can cause problems for pools, including getting algae growth, and that there are alternatives that still use chlorine but without the side effects. Then refer and link to the TFP website and note that it has nearly 40,000 members and over a quarter of a million unique visitors per month during peak swim season. Leave it at that.

I use tablets in my customers pools, I just don't ABUSE them. Sadly SWG are rare in my area but feeders are not. I use the tabs sparingly to help maintain a FC level in addition to shocking the pool with cal-hypo. I'm only at a customers house once a week, usually it's enough but if its not I leave them a chart of how much cal-hypo to add through out the week in smaller doses.

The guy in the video isn't really wrong but yeah he doesn't mention much about the CYA, kinda like watching a political campaign advert. You get the good parts and the bad is left out :)

X-PertPool said:
I'm only at a customers house once a week, usually it's enough but if its not I leave them a chart of how much cal-hypo to add through out the week in smaller doses.

Just curious -- why don't you leave them a chart with how much bleach to add instead of cal-hypo? For sure not arguing, just wondering.

I sell cal-hypo by 50lb barrels. I live in an area that has very low hardness in the water. I come once a week to vacuum the pool and adjust the chemicals, I also backwash the filters once a week. Once a week may be overkill but I have skipped a few times and have come back to a pool that was barely running since it was so clogged up. Anyways, almost all of the pools are vinyl and the CH level has never been high enough to drain. This might be because of the weekly back-washing or the relative little amount of CH that cal-hypo adds (when you consider that a 20,000 gal pool needs about 70 pounds of calcium chloride to be in the ideal low range when filled tap water). Also there is the water that is lost over the winter (draining about an inch or so below the bottom of the skimmer in most cases).
If you are curious as to why I buy cal-hypo as opposed to bleach or liquid chlorine it simply comes down to storage and weight. I buy in bulk pallets, and I don't have heated storage. So if I was using bleach I'd have to worry about the possibility of freezing/leaking. Also sometimes the barrels are stored for up to a year and since the storage area is not air conditioned bleach or liquid chlorine might lose some effectiveness being stored for up to a year with drastically changing temperatures.

I have nothing against bleach. If someone calls me up on the phone saying they want to change their filter sand because their pool is green I tell them it's a chemical issue and to try shocking the pool with bleach since it's cheaper. Also they can't mess up if you tell them to add bleach, trying to tell someone that some powder chlorine are stabilized and some aren't and to start looking for chemical names they usually get lost on the phone.

If I lived in Arizona or some other place that had big issues with hard water then I would definitely be using bleach etc.

My dad used trichlor pucks exclusively for 10-15 years when we had a pool and we never had a problem. As Chem geek said, with a combination of rain dilution, backwashing, etc., pucks can work. But you have to watch the CYA levels, although my father never did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.