Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think we should tell him...?

1. Back To Top    #1

Think we should tell him...?

Should I comment and tell this guy about the CL + CYA relationship?
    What do you think???

I would really love to, I'm just itchin' but is there any point?

[youtube:3ox74io9]mq58LXe0v-4[/youtube:3ox74io9]
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Think we should tell him...?

I couldn't take any more after 2 minutes. Leave him a comment, and if he gets defensive let it go. Arguing on the internet is pointless. If there's a lot of rainwater, or the pool gets topped off frequently from splashout or a leak, it might be sufficient to keep his CYA in check. Tabs are not the way I'll ever be going again, but who knows? They might be working for him. I don't get the impression that he understands it, but it's possible.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/½ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

There are many, many people who use Trichlor pucks/tabs either in a floating feeder or an inline chlorinator and in any given year most such pools do not get algae for a variety of reasons (weekly shocking, short swim seasons, summer rains and backwashing water dilution, CYA gone over the winter, use of algaecides or phosphate removers, nutrient-poor water, etc.). So arguing against personal experience is going to be an uphill battle. It would be better to instead say that while such pucks are convenient, they have side effects that can cause problems for pools, including getting algae growth, and that there are alternatives that still use chlorine but without the side effects. Then refer and link to the TFP website and note that it has nearly 40,000 members and over a quarter of a million unique visitors per month during peak swim season. Leave it at that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I love the Polaris laying on its side.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I use tablets in my customers pools, I just don't ABUSE them. Sadly SWG are rare in my area but feeders are not. I use the tabs sparingly to help maintain a FC level in addition to shocking the pool with cal-hypo. I'm only at a customers house once a week, usually it's enough but if its not I leave them a chart of how much cal-hypo to add through out the week in smaller doses.

The guy in the video isn't really wrong but yeah he doesn't mention much about the CYA, kinda like watching a political campaign advert. You get the good parts and the bad is left out
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    I'm only at a customers house once a week, usually it's enough but if its not I leave them a chart of how much cal-hypo to add through out the week in smaller doses.
    Just curious -- why don't you leave them a chart with how much bleach to add instead of cal-hypo? For sure not arguing, just wondering.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I sell cal-hypo by 50lb barrels. I live in an area that has very low hardness in the water. I come once a week to vacuum the pool and adjust the chemicals, I also backwash the filters once a week. Once a week may be overkill but I have skipped a few times and have come back to a pool that was barely running since it was so clogged up. Anyways, almost all of the pools are vinyl and the CH level has never been high enough to drain. This might be because of the weekly back-washing or the relative little amount of CH that cal-hypo adds (when you consider that a 20,000 gal pool needs about 70 pounds of calcium chloride to be in the ideal low range when filled tap water). Also there is the water that is lost over the winter (draining about an inch or so below the bottom of the skimmer in most cases).
    If you are curious as to why I buy cal-hypo as opposed to bleach or liquid chlorine it simply comes down to storage and weight. I buy in bulk pallets, and I don't have heated storage. So if I was using bleach I'd have to worry about the possibility of freezing/leaking. Also sometimes the barrels are stored for up to a year and since the storage area is not air conditioned bleach or liquid chlorine might lose some effectiveness being stored for up to a year with drastically changing temperatures.

I have nothing against bleach. If someone calls me up on the phone saying they want to change their filter sand because their pool is green I tell them it's a chemical issue and to try shocking the pool with bleach since it's cheaper. Also they can't mess up if you tell them to add bleach, trying to tell someone that some powder chlorine are stabilized and some aren't and to start looking for chemical names they usually get lost on the phone.

If I lived in Arizona or some other place that had big issues with hard water then I would definitely be using bleach etc.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

My dad used trichlor pucks exclusively for 10-15 years when we had a pool and we never had a problem. As Chem geek said, with a combination of rain dilution, backwashing, etc., pucks can work. But you have to watch the CYA levels, although my father never did.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Must have worked for Leslies. Pool did look Ok though.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit