Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain - chlorine adjustments

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken Arrow, OK

Rain - chlorine adjustments

This my first year with a pool. I was wondering if you do anything special chlorine adjustments when a big storm is coming. For example, do you add some extra chlorine in anticipation of an inch of rain? Or, do you just test each evening, as usual, and do any necessary adjustments then? I saw a big storm coming this morning and thought about upping the chlorine since I know it will rain at least an inch. I am curious what others do. Thanks.
    Newbie pool owner
    25,000 gallon inground, vinyl lined pool, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pearland, TX (Houston Suburb)
    I personally don't do anything in preparation of an oncoming storm except to make sure things are picked up around the pool. I don't want to have to go and knock on neighbors door to get my noodles out of their yard; which by then, their dog mistook for a chew toy. Perhaps others will have different opinions.

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in the same boat as you. What has been happening with me is, due to evaporation in the Miami sun my water level drops, I don't have an auto filler and we are under water restrictions so I have been trying to let the rain fill my pool. It is so unpredictable that for two weeks (it has been raining everyday) my water level has not budged, I almost got the hose but tried to wait it out. The next day 20% chance of rain and it rained for about 1.5 hours and my pool almost over flooded. I checked my CL level and it dropped to 1ppm so I added CL to get it up to 4.5. Due to the unpredictability, I am waiting after the storm not before.

MY PB did tell me that after heavy rains there is a brownish film that some pools get and that I should brush right after. I didn't notice any film after the rain but I brushed any way.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam