Need new pump, I think

Apr 19, 2011
Pretty sure I need a new pump. This is the first pool we've owned, and it came with the house when we bought it last year, so I'm learning as I go. I've tried reading posts about calculating head pressure and all that but feel like I've actually gotten more clueless in the process. :oops: So I'd appreciate some advice.

Over the past few weeks, the pump motor has gotten really loud and high pitched, so loud I've had to leave it shut off. From what I've read, repairing doesn't seem to be a viable option. Is that correct?

The pump's a 1 hp (1.25 sfhp) Pentair Pinnacle. It looks like it's set up for 230v, but I haven't verified that. No special water features like spa or waterfall. Assuming I need to replace the pump, what's the best way to figure out the size I'll need? And once I pick a size, is there much difference between different manufacturers at a particular size?

Finally, is it possible to get a good estimate my electricity savings by going with a two-speed or multispeed pump?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the reply. I haven't noticed any problems with the wet end, but I'm not sure what there is to look for, other than a leak. Is there anything I ought to check?

And is there any chance that switching to an Intelliflo or something like that makes more economic sense in the long term, even if all I really need to do is replace the motor on my existing pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.