Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need new pump, I think

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new pump, I think

Pretty sure I need a new pump. This is the first pool we've owned, and it came with the house when we bought it last year, so I'm learning as I go. I've tried reading posts about calculating head pressure and all that but feel like I've actually gotten more clueless in the process. So I'd appreciate some advice.

Over the past few weeks, the pump motor has gotten really loud and high pitched, so loud I've had to leave it shut off. From what I've read, repairing doesn't seem to be a viable option. Is that correct?

The pump's a 1 hp (1.25 sfhp) Pentair Pinnacle. It looks like it's set up for 230v, but I haven't verified that. No special water features like spa or waterfall. Assuming I need to replace the pump, what's the best way to figure out the size I'll need? And once I pick a size, is there much difference between different manufacturers at a particular size?

Finally, is it possible to get a good estimate my electricity savings by going with a two-speed or multispeed pump?

Thanks for any help!
    19K kidney-shaped gunite; Hayward FNS Plus 36 sq. foot DE filter; Pentair 1 HP pump; Aquarite SWG; Orlando, FL

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Need new pump, I think

For a 19k gallon pool that 1 hp pump is a pretty good size. It's very feasible to just replace the motor if the wet end is in good shape.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I haven't noticed any problems with the wet end, but I'm not sure what there is to look for, other than a leak. Is there anything I ought to check?

And is there any chance that switching to an Intelliflo or something like that makes more economic sense in the long term, even if all I really need to do is replace the motor on my existing pump?
    19K kidney-shaped gunite; Hayward FNS Plus 36 sq. foot DE filter; Pentair 1 HP pump; Aquarite SWG; Orlando, FL

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

Depend on how much you're paying for electric. I think the cut off is 20 or 25 cents for KWH other wise a 2 speed is a good option.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida