Valves on skimmers and drains?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I specified that all drains and skimmers should have valves at the pad. My PB did not follow this when they did it. They put a 3 way between the two skimmers and then T'ed into the drain line directly (no valve on drain line) then to the pump. So, it appears that I have no way of turning off the skimmers (if I ever want to drain the pool) and I have no way to airlock the drain line after blowing it out.

So, did they just make my winterizing much more difficult? Do I now need to go under water in the deep end, remove the drain covers and plug each line after blowing out?

Are valves usually installed on each drain and skimmer line or is my request overkill and it is fine the way it is?

Most 3 way valves can be rotated to an off position. So the skimmers are fine.

Without a main drain valve I'd say you have a bit of a tougher time.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Although you may have to modify the 3 way valve to allow it to turn. Most have stops that you will have to cut off to allow the valve to turn 360 degrees.

You certainly want to put a valve on the floor drain pipe to allow you to reduce the flow. That is certainly not the way I would have plumbed it ... makes no sense to me.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

My skimmers are that way and it's fine. If it's a Jandy type, just point the handle away from the line toward the pump and both are off.

But you definitely need a valve on the main drain. You can use a rubber plug with an air fitting to winterize, or just try to plug it really fast with a solid plug, but the valve is better and I certainly prefer to throttle back the main drain for better skimming action. You also could not vacuum unless there is a separate line for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.