Hose adapter to fit Hayward Swimclear drain plug opening?

May 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all,

I'll be tackling winterizing duties sometime in the next week. My water level is nearly to the point of spilling over, and there's some dirt at the bottom ... So I wondered if it's possible to kill birds with one stone — is there an adapter so I can screw a hose into the drainplug opening of my Haywayrd Swimclear cartridge filter so that while I vacuum the dirt up, the pool is being drained instead of the water being returned to the pool? A couple of web searches haven't turned up what I'm looking for. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

I realize I could just leave the plug open, but given the layout of the pool and yard, I'd prefer to connect a 40-50 ft hose and and drain it away from the pool.

Thanks.

Re: Hose adapter to fit Hayward Swimclear drain plug opening

Ideally you would like to be able to pump the dirt directly to waste instead of into the cartridge (one of the down-sides to not having a multi-valve).

The simplest solution would be to just take the drain cap off and fire up the pump the dirt would still be trapped in the filter, but most of the water would not.

You could get a PVC fitting that would screw into the drain plug, add a ball valve to it and a hose fitting to attach a backwash hose. Then you could put the how where you want the water to go and then open the the ball valve to allow as much of the water out as you like.

i am having the same issue, and was wondering what size the drain opening is on the hayward..... mine is in a very awkward place to get to and I can see that it is smaller than a 1" fitting, but does anyone know if it is a standard 3/4" size? i will probably wind up buying both a 3/4 and 1/2" fittings and try whatever works but would be nice to know before i go drive to the store.

I just disassembled my Hayward DE6020 and am wishing I can find the same thing before I refill it. The filter drain is 1 foot from the house, facing the house, no way to get a bucket underneath, and flooding the ground right there is not a good idea, esp with this shed we're building around the equipment.

I realize I only really need to drain the top half of the filter. Then once I get the top off I can get out the carpter cleaning machine hose attachment and wet vac the bottom out. But it would be nice to find a 90 degree adapter for that drain hole, to which either a garden hose or even the "backwash" hose could be attached. the manual says it's a 1.5" plug.

I only have a two-position "up or down" backwash valve, so I don't think there's a way to drain the filter that way.

If you turn the pump off and open the air release valve, most of the filter should drain back to the pool. Then just take the top off and vacuum out the bottom half if so desired.

Better yet, turn the valve to backwash and then open the air release valve so all the dirty water drains out the waste port. Then take the top off.

Hi, the drain plug on the Hayward large DE and Cartridge filter is 1.5". Note that the drain plug has an O-ring for sealing. The threads here are straight threads, therefore the o-ring. Normal plumbing threads are tapered. If you thread in a fitting build slightly with Teflon tape and do not over tighten.

Great advice Hayward Pool. Thanks for helping out!
:)

Hi, the drain plug on the Hayward large DE and Cartridge filter is 1.5". Note that the drain plug has an O-ring for sealing. The threads here are straight threads, therefore the o-ring. Normal plumbing threads are tapered. If you thread in a fitting build slightly with Teflon tape and do not over tighten.

I rigged together a 1.5 thread to pvc elbow, to a valve, and got it put in...but it had small leaks, probably bad cement job by me. And if I didn't have the 1.5" just right, the elbow/valve would be pointing up, or toward the ground. Said forget it and put the original plug back in.

The idea of backwash+air release will have to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.