Blowing out skimmer and gizmos-Help Please

Glock30

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
All,
I blew out all returns and plugged them-no problem.
With the skimmers I sucked out as much water as I could with a vac, blew more water from the pipes into the skimmer, sucked out more (rinse repeat) until I could no longer get water to blow into the skimmer any more. I then dumped some anti freeze in the skimmer pipe/plumbing.
Is this correct?

Then I screwed the gizmos into the NON-PIPE threaded hole in the skimmer. Is this correct or should it go into the pipe/plumbing hole? (They are a different thread that the gizmos I was given.) I am not even sure what the gizmos do, I just cannot afford a burst pipe on my 1 year old installation.

Living in Massachusetts avaerage winter day in 20-25F

Thanks

You want to thread the gizzmo into the skimmer line to block any water from getting back in that line that you blew out. The gizzmo has 2 purposes. First to block the line from water access and second, The gizzmo will absorb the ice expansion as opposed to the skimmer parts expanding (and cracking).

You need to plug the skimmer line, either with a plug or the gizzmo. Otherwise water could enter from the skimmer over the winter as the water level rises.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.