Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blowing out skimmer and gizmos-Help Please

1. Back To Top    #1
    Massachusetts, USA

Blowing out skimmer and gizmos-Help Please

I blew out all returns and plugged them-no problem.
    With the skimmers I sucked out as much water as I could with a vac, blew more water from the pipes into the skimmer, sucked out more (rinse repeat) until I could no longer get water to blow into the skimmer any more. I then dumped some anti freeze in the skimmer pipe/plumbing.
    Is this correct?

Then I screwed the gizmos into the NON-PIPE threaded hole in the skimmer. Is this correct or should it go into the pipe/plumbing hole? (They are a different thread that the gizmos I was given.) I am not even sure what the gizmos do, I just cannot afford a burst pipe on my 1 year old installation.

Living in Massachusetts avaerage winter day in 20-25F

18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blowing out skimmer and gizmos-Help Please

You want to thread the gizzmo into the skimmer line to block any water from getting back in that line that you blew out. The gizzmo has 2 purposes. First to block the line from water access and second, The gizzmo will absorb the ice expansion as opposed to the skimmer parts expanding (and cracking).

You need to plug the skimmer line, either with a plug or the gizzmo. Otherwise water could enter from the skimmer over the winter as the water level rises.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.