Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stuck Eyeballs

1. Back To Top    #1

Stuck Eyeballs

One of the more minor issues I've run into with my short-sale pool is that the eyeballs are frozen in place. I can't move either the eyeball or the ring by hand pressure alone. Is it safe to grab the ring with a pair of channel locks or something similar, or is there something else I should try first? I don't want to take a chance on breaking something off in the wall, so I figured it was wiser to ask before instead of after.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stuck Eyeballs

Use a strap wrench first.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Good idea to keep from damaging the plastic, thanks! I was going to pad the channel-locks with rags. I should get a strap wrench anyway, they can be handy.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Use whatever to get the ring to move but there is a good chance there will be a part still stuck in the wall, There is an official tool. SP-1419-T. It fits into the slot and then you turn it like a key. The slot is exactly 1.5" so I've made my own tool over the years with a modified 1.5" dull wood chisel.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Kevin. I'm hopeful that all I'm going to do is take the eyeball out and clean it, just so it's loose enough to move. Nothing will budge now. I don't think I'll have to replace them or any of the piping.

6. Back To Top    #6

Strap wrench works, but I have used channel locks before CAREFULLY and with good results.