Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for feedback on buying a used pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for feedback on buying a used pool

First time caller... Long time listener

I apologize now to the moderators if I break any of the rules with the posting...

I've never owned a pool before and looking to take the plunge. Someone is selling a pool on Craigslist with the following specs. I'm looking for thoughts on buying a used pool and whether anyone has this particular pool. It's a Quest from The Great Escape

Less then two years old. Waves on the walls with steel uprights and reinforced true-radius, injection-molded top seat, resin joints and boots - FEATURES: Steel walls finished with Duratex 2000 anti corrosion paint • Internal walls protected against humidity and chemicals Fluted-style steel posts• Curved gas-assist injection molded resin top seats. Resin top-seat caps and boots • Steel rails • Fantasy-frieze interior liner. Hayward 256 Sand Tank/Valve. Hayward 2.0 HP Powerflo3' Cord/TL/Horizontal from Hayward Pool Products, Automatic Chlorination, solar cover, stairs, ladder. You take down and have hauled away. I do have a couple of places that would give you a deal on removing and installing this pool.

Based on the pics, it looks in good condition.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/3342972378.html

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
    27' x 54" Quest pool - 17,000 gallons. Hayward 2hp pump with Swim Pro sand filter (Green Egg :) )

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for feedback on buying a used pool

Welcome to TFP!

Looks like the listing expired and is no longer there.

3. Back To Top    #3

You are correct. It still appears on my machine because the page is cached... sorry about that. I've been in contact over the last few days with the owner regarding the pool. It is still available.

Thanks.
    27' x 54" Quest pool - 17,000 gallons. Hayward 2hp pump with Swim Pro sand filter (Green Egg :) )

4. Back To Top    #4

What do they want for it?

5. Back To Top    #5

$1500.00

I am responsible for taking down.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would plan on a new liner, and inspect the rails very closely for rust. Mine was all resin except for the wall, cost was free for removing it, which I did myself. If it's still open test the pump and filter in all modes.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

Liner was a definite replace. Barring any issues, does 1500.00 seem like a good deal?

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you post pictures of it?

The way it reads, it sounds really weird, almost like a spa. All those injection molded pieces, seats and what not.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

9. Back To Top    #9

[attachment=0:vef0ay4g]pic1.png[/attachment:vef0ay4g]
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

[attachment=0:2g8vqvnl]pic2.png[/attachment:2g8vqvnl]
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

AWESOME!!
    Thank you for the pictures.
    What a beautiful yard they have!!

I wonder why they could possible be selling the pool? Hrrrmmm.....

You don't say how big it is, or did I miss that? Maybe 26ft, 4ft deep?
    It looks like there's mold all over the lower 1/3 of the walls. That's gonna be fun!
    Have you gone out and looked at it, does your inspection show any problem areas?
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

12. Back To Top    #12

I wonder why they could possible be selling the pool? Hrrrmmm..... -- Unfortunately, divorce and she doesn't want the pool

You don't say how big it is, or did I miss that? Maybe 26ft, 4ft deep? -- 27' 54" deep

It looks like there's mold all over the lower 1/3 of the walls. That's gonna be fun! -- Not sure if it's mold or just grass that's grown
    Have you gone out and looked at it, does your inspection show any problem areas? -- Working out a time now to view in person.

13. Back To Top    #13

Definitely look at it 1st and report back, make sure the walls are sturdy too.
    That way, once you have an idea of it's condition and quality of build, we can all help better for sure.

Aaah, divorce. So ugly! So sad too.

Nice, almost 20k gal. There's a Hayward Esther Williams metal frame pool here that's the same size for $800. Comes with a high grade ladder, sand filter, IGP style skimmer and pump. Liner only 2yrs old.
    They had it @ 1k, but lowered it.
    EDIT: Correction, the one here is 28ft.

I'd love to have a plastic one, when made right, they withstand the sun and elements well. Also, for use as a pool at least, plastic I feel is superior to metal.
    For one key reason, it doesn't rust!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

If it's truly 2 years old, IMHO it's a bargain. When you take it down, take a ton of pictures so that you can see how the top rail and joints were assembled. Find an install crew, get a firm quote based on your yard and see if you REALLY want to install one yourself. You might get a bargain if you pay now and have it installed in the spring.

Just sayin........
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

15. Back To Top    #15

Final report:

Pool taken down and loaded in about 3 hours. No visible signs of rust. Caps, top rails and bottom rails were resin; so it was pretty much the pool wall and uprights that were metal. Sand filter, 1.5 Hayward pump, 2 sets of ladders (A-frame ladder and wedding cake steps) automatic chlorinator, manual cleaning kit, automatic pool cleaner, chemicals, winter cover and solar cover.

Purchased a brand new liner for 125.00 from someone else on CL, so that item is new.

Overall, everything looked to be in order; so for 1625.00 it seems to be a good purchase.

16. Back To Top    #16

Sounds awesome!! What a deal. These things aren't cheap, well, the good ones.

Some questions.....
    You said you're a "long time listener". So I presume you know not to use that automatic chlorinator, NO PUCKS unless it's a liquidator that is.
    Also, you know how to start up the water chemistry and maintain it the TFP BBB way, yeah?
    IE. you have been through pool school enough to know how to get started.
    Do you have one of our recommended test kits?

Lastly, are you going to install this yourself, or have it done?

17. Back To Top    #17

I've perused the TFP concepts, but not committed them to memory. However, now that I actually have a pool; I will be make more of an effort to understand the BBB and all related thoughts to a great pool.

As far as a self install... not a chance

The slope of the yard creates a situation where I'll need to dig down about 2' of earth and level out from there. Some things are just worth paying for and this is one of them.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by dmunster
    I've perused the TFP concepts, but not committed them to memory. However, now that I actually have a pool; I will be make more of an effort to understand the BBB and all related thoughts to a great pool.

As far as a self install... not a chance

The slope of the yard creates a situation where I'll need to dig down about 2' of earth and level out from there. Some things are just worth paying for and this is one of them.
    Great! Glad to hear.
    So long as you know where to look and how to "dive in" and have the drive to seek out the information and go forward with it. Then you're all set to learn and proceed.

Be sure and get one of our recommended kits. The TF-100 is the absolute best value there is.
    Also, I highly, highly recommend a Taylor Speed Stir unit. If you do the tests with out it, then with it. You'll be shocked as to how you ever got along with out it.

Yes indeed, some things are best left to those that do it all the time and now how to get it done right. But never underestimate the experienced and careful DIY'er or shade tree mechanic.