Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oval pool solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Oval pool solar cover

I have an 18x34 and a solar cover laying in the yard,. I want to order this GLI in the 18' size. Good? Anyone have pics of their solar cover real installed on an above ground?

http://www.poolsupplyclub.com/p-26278-g ... -reel.aspx
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oval pool solar cover

Here's a pic of mine.
    I've since sunk some 4x4 posts and moved the brackets off the top rails. It just swings out of the way when rolled up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it GLI brand? I found the one I posted on ebay for 155 shipped so I pulled the trigger on it. Can't wait for it to get here. Is it ok to leave them up for the winter or should they be put inside? 18ft long, not sure where I would stick it. No suggestions please. lol
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

It should be protected during the winter. It's best to wash it off and let it dry then roll it up and store it inside or at least put a cover on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I like how the one you list has bearings. I have a different brand and it is mostly plastic. It does the job though. What I do like about mine is when removed the base is not sharp and is pretty flat. One side is against my deck so something that sticks up would be bad. As for storing it....I have removed the cover off of mine, folded it and brought it in. The reel itself I hung up under my deck. I also brought the whole thing in and hung it from the rafters in my basement when it was new. Obviously the tube will not be 18' long when it comes, you'll have to put it together which means you can take it apart. Mine is multiple tubes that fit inside each other with screws holding it together. The directions for the one you ordered show quick release pins.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

6. Back To Top    #6

Good point. I even read the directions so I knew it came apart. lol. I finally got in mine last night to vacuum it and get all the dive toys out and let me tell you, that water was COLD!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    Good point. I even read the directions so I knew it came apart. lol. I finally got in mine last night to vacuum it and get all the dive toys out and let me tell you, that water was COLD!
    Ha ha, I'd hate to get in mine right now.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad I did it yesterday. It was 84 degrees yesterday and the water was 76. We had a cold front come through and are dropping down to 45 tonight and then Hi 50's low 30's for the next 4 days. Bet that water is like ice come Tuesday.. Brrrr!!!