Low pressure snag in filter mode

kwagga

Oct 23, 2012
Hallo guys

if read the previous threads about tjis low pressure issue,it seems to corralete,but mine is abit different.

let me start from the beginning,
i stay in this godforsaken south africa where service delivery and customer service and satisfaction left the building together with a few other guys in 1994.

Thats one part of the problem,the other part is that the pool cleaner/zodiac pacer only runs for a few minutes then gets to a stands still in filter mode,but in bypass mode it runs like heck.

i had 6 companies here already,the first one overhauled the pump and replaced the pipeline from weir to pump. but it made no difference,then this guy just disapeared.

so i moved on to the next few,and as soon as they here that the pump has been overhauled they seem to loose interest,maybe because its the easiest way to make money and if someone else has already done it,then there is nothing left for them.

ok,to get back to the problem
new line from pump to weir,"new" overhauled pump,new filter sand did so last week friday.
apparently its also correct for the pool cleaner to fall of the wall while sweeping,wich is not correct in my book.this also happens in filter mode,but in by pass it goes like a dream.

any suggestions. isthere a way i can do a pressure check,might it be sucking air.
might it be sucking air at the selector? or at the filter? the filterfingers are all fine,inspected them last friday.

please guys ,im with my hand in the hair.
im so desperate,that i might just fly an expert in from the uk or anywere in the world. :( :(

Give us some brands and models of the filter and pump.

What does the water look like?
Can you post a set of test results and how you got them?

What is the filter pressure when you first start cleaning?
What is the filter pressure when the cleaner stops working correctly?
What is the filter pressure when in bypass?

Answer those and we'll see what's happening.

In filter mode without cleaner - flow stays normal and steady - correct?
In filter mode with cleaner - flow starts OK, then drops off until flow is too low to clean - correct?
Is a pressure side cleaner or a suction side cleaner? I read the original thread but forgot.

As ^^^ requested - what are the pressures observed during the use in various conditions?
Do you have any way to measure flow? If not in a quantitative way - maybe using a yardstick held in the water in front of the flow to see how far it deflects when allowed to do so freely in each condition?

Hallo

Yes the water is green,very green. I can't see the bottom,but I assume its clean,I had a swim this afternoon and felt not to much dirt on the floor.

But green water is not an issue now,took it for a test and they said they won't test further cause the water is saturated.

My issue here is pump pressure.
Its a 750watt speck pump and a 3 bag filter,ame unknown. Will send a foto.

I can't give u pressure readings,don't know were to fit the perssure gauge.

What I can tell u,while its running in by pass,the pump filter is full,but in filter mode its just clears the inside filter of the pump.

Is this info good?

kwagga said:
But green water is not an issue now,took it for a test and they said they won't test further cause the water is saturated.
You can test this yourself and maintain with liquid chlorine (bleach).

kwagga said:
My issue here is pump pressure.
Its a 750watt speck pump and a 3 bag filter,ame unknown. Will send a foto.

750 watt sounds like a 3/4 HP SF 1.0 or a 1/2 HP SF 1.5 sor something smaller.
3 Bag filter? I have no idea what you mean here. Photos will help but let me ask - does this filter use removable cylinders that you hose off when dirty?

kwagga said:
I can't give u pressure readings,don't know were to fit the perssure gauge.
That's unexpected. Pictures will help us understand and perhaps help you pinpoint where to place this.

kwagga said:
What I can tell u,while its running in by pass,the pump filter is full,but in filter mode its just clears the inside filter of the pump.

Is this info good?
When you say, "just clears the inside filter of the pump" does this mean the pump basket is only partially full when you use the cleaner? When you use it do you keep the basket in the skimmer? Is it possible that debris is just building up to block waterflow? I assume not but I have to ask.

hi

i attached pictures
sorry about the mess inside the box

the filter is a sand filter,uses 3 bags of 40kg sand

u will see the pump description on the label
the rest is quite standard,i think

yes the water just clears the skimmer in filter mode,but in bypass the basket is 90% full,in filter mode without the cleaner,the basket is about 75% full.

i also just realized some thing,that the pump is higher than the weir level. maybe 15 cm.

when i fit the pressure gauge,where do i fit it and at what scale and units should it read?
what would the nominal pressure be?

Attachments

• Pretoria-20121023-00305.jpg
    Pretoria-20121023-00305.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 23
  • Pretoria-20121023-00298.jpg
    Pretoria-20121023-00298.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Pretoria-20121023-00299.jpg
    Pretoria-20121023-00299.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 23
kwagga said:
Thats one part of the problem,the other part is that the pool cleaner/zodiac pacer only runs for a few minutes then gets to a stands still in filter mode,but in bypass mode it runs like ****.
When it stalls out - is the pump basket even lower than normal or does it start and end about the same?

kwagga said:
i had 6 companies here already,the first one overhauled the pump and replaced the pipeline from weir to pump. but it made no difference,then this guy just disapeared.
Did you test his work? Have you used shaving cream on all exposed joints and valves to be sure it's not sucking air in there?

kwagga said:
so i moved on to the next few,and as soon as they here that the pump has been overhauled they seem to loose interest,maybe because its the easiest way to make money and if someone else has already done it,then there is nothing left for them.
Overhauled meaning the motor was rebuilt or ? Has the pump basket gasket been replaced? Putting shaving cream around the basket could reveal any leaks around there. The gasket should be lubed and inspected to be sure it is clean as well.

kwagga said:
any suggestions. isthere a way i can do a pressure check,might it be sucking air.
might it be sucking air at the selector? or at the filter? the filterfingers are all fine,inspected them last friday.
Given the behavior I am puzzled - I thought a suction side leak would not be impacted by the filter position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.