DE filter filling with air

Sep 19, 2012
Hey guys, so I am looking for some advice on troubleshooting an air leak. I originally had a small air leak at the intake of the pump but was able to fix it with some thread sealant. Now there isnt any air visible through the strainer basket, but when I shut the pump off the filter begins gurgling and filling with air. There isn't any air coming through the strainer basket when the pumps off so the air leak must be coming after that. Does it sound like a pump seal or ??? Any other suggestions where I should look? Dont think it is possible but could the back flow valve on the filter some how be leaking although it doesn't leak under pressure.

bkellerm,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Seeing as you don't have any air bubbles visible in your pump skimmer basket.
I would make sure that the water is 1/2 way up the skimmer inlet at the pool and that the flap "scupper" moves freely. You don't want to see a vortex in there, and these 2 things should prevent that.

If that doesn't solve it, or those all check out. I would suggest coating all the joints, including valves, up to the inlet (suction) on your filter with a bead of shaving cream to fully cover each joint all the way around.
Fire up the system, run her for a bit and check for leaks. It'll suck in the shaving cream at the leak.
Then, if yo don't get anything, shut it down like you were talking about in your original post where you induce the air situation and see what happens with the shaving cream spots.

To answer your question, yes, valves can and do leek. It's really not a matter of "if" they'll fail, it's when. They all do at some point, somewhere in there life. So do check those.

Now there isnt any air visible through the strainer basket, but when I shut the pump off the filter begins gurgling and filling with air.
Check that strainer basket lid carefully and make sure there is no air coming thru when the pump is on.......sometimes it's a little tough to see.

However, your analysis sure seems correct so that would eliminate any leaks on the suction side and point to a pressure side leak. Usually, they are pretty easy to find in that they will leak water when the pump is running. Since you apparently see no water leak, it is possible something (on the pressure side) is sucking in air when the pump is off, but seals itself when the pump is turned back on. Release valve on top of the filter? That's about all I can think of that might do that. Have you inspected carefully for a water leak on the pressure side?

I don't know where your backflow valve is located on the filter (or why you have one there, actually)

Do you have a multiport valve? have you tried it in a different position to see if it stops the leak?

Thanks for the suggestions. I havent had a chance to try everything yet but this morning I turned on the pump and emptied the air out of the filter. I created additional vacuum on the inlet side by slowly turning off the jandy valve that controls the balance between the vacuum and skimmer. As I closed of the inlet, a ton of air began going through the strainer basket on the pump. My question is, if there is a strong vacuum on the intake side do you think air would ever show up in the strainer basket if the pump shaft seal or back plate seal is bad? Or should I check that off the list and just focus up stream of the pump?

I am not sure but it sounds like you are restricting the intake to the pump. Doing so will normally cause a suction side air leak......usually at the o-ring on the pump strainer basket.

That is completely unrelated to your pump seals and you can eliminate the seals as a source of your air leak if you are not seeing visible water when the pump is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.