Here are my test results for the winter

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
It is now too cold to swim, but I would like to keep the pool uncovered most of the winter because it is so much prettier. I may put the cover on during some of the worst leaf falling times.

Here are my test results:

ph 7.7
Chlorine 3.0
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 50

I guess I should raise TA up to 100 with baking soda, then lower ph to 7.6 with muratic acid.
Do you recommend any other adjustment?
When the weather is cold and no one is using the pool, what level should I keep the chlorine? I am in Atlanta, so most winter nights are in the 30's-40's with occasional dips into the 20's. There will be full sun on the pool.

What do you use for chlorination? If Trichlor, then yes raise TA, but otherwise 80 is fine. PH is OK too, just do not let it go beyond 7.8. You did not give a CC reading, but 3ppm TC is a little low, given CYA of 50. As far as chlorine level during the winter...it's the same as during the summer per the FC/CYA chart in pool school. You'll just need a lot less chlorine to maintain that level. :goodjob:

TomAtlanta said:
Sorry I didn't make it clear, 3.0 is from the drop test, which gives CC.

Thanks for your help.

The FAS-DPD drop test in the cylinder, where you use a white/relatively white R-0001 powder that turns it pink, then titrate with R-0002 reagent while mixing the sample. Counting the number of drops and multiplying by 0.5 or dividing by half to obtain your FC number, assuming a 10ml sample size. That kind?

If so, you only read the CC level by adding 5 drops of R-0003 re-agent to the now clear water from the above sample procedure. If it turns pink at all, even a tiny bit, then you titrate again with re-agent R-0002, counting each drop as 0.5ppm just as before.
When you reach totally clear, this is your endpoint and the number of drops used, minus any final drop(s) that no longer changed the sample, is your number of CCs.

So for the 1st part of the test, if you get 6 drops x 0.5 = 3ppm FC.
For the second part of the test, for CCs, if you get...
2 drops x 0.5 = 1ppm CCs

A question for everyone else, on the OP's behalf.
Do you need to run the pump as much in the icy cold water conditions of the winter months? IE. can you run it less than a 1x turnover, or do you still have to at least hit that minimum?

TomAtlanta said:
Sorry I didn't make it clear, 3.0 is from the drop test, which gives CC.

Thanks for your help.
Do you have an SWG? If not do you use liquid chlorine? A CYA of 50 without an SWG means the FC should not be allowed to drop below 4 and should typically stay a few ppm higher.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.