Victims of the Drought of 2007

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
When 2007 rolled in, I had 6 1/2 trees in my yard (the 1/2 is a leftover from a storm a couple years back). After the drought last year, I now have 2...2 ugly pine trees at the back of the lot. Actually I can only attribute 3 trees lost to the drought; the fourth one was taken down because once upon a time it had been infested with carpenter ants.

Looks like I'll be busy this fall, planting replacements. Oh well, at least I'll get to plant trees I want to have in the yard, instead of the crappy water maples that died.

FWIW, I've noticed lots of dead trees here in middle Tennessee. The drought sure did a number on the landscape.

Hey neighbor to you! Sorry to hear about the trees. I will have to say that I was very lucky in that I didn't lose a single tree or otherwise from the freeze/drought. It was very touch and go on the Japanese Maple though. I'm very glad to report that it survived and is absolutely beautiful right now!

Hey...like you said...you get to choose what you want now!

Don't know how they'll behave in Tennessee, but in Southern Indiana, Pin Oaks are nice and pool friendly. They grow fairly quickly (we have some that grew from 5ft to ~18ft in 9 years), they have small branches that make them fairly resistant to storm damage, and they drop their leaves late enough in the fall that the pool is covered before the leaves come down.

midtngal said:
Hey neighbor to you! Sorry to hear about the trees. I will have to say that I was very lucky in that I didn't lose a single tree or otherwise from the freeze/drought. It was very touch and go on the Japanese Maple though. I'm very glad to report that it survived and is absolutely beautiful right now!

Hey...like you said...you get to choose what you want now!

Wow, you didn't lose any? The tree service folks are making a killing around here. My neighbor has two dead in the front yard, and two dead in his backyard as well. You did well. :)

I kind of expected the water maple to die, but when the pine tree and hackberry gave up the ghost too, that surprised me. Methinks I'll plant some red maples for shade and fall color, and some dogwoods for springtime.

JohnT said:
Don't know how they'll behave in Tennessee, but in Southern Indiana, Pin Oaks are nice and pool friendly. They grow fairly quickly (we have some that grew from 5ft to ~18ft in 9 years), they have small branches that make them fairly resistant to storm damage, and they drop their leaves late enough in the fall that the pool is covered before the leaves come down.

They do well around here, too. Well, at least during years where we don't have the "drought of the century". I probably won't plant anything near the pool, though. The maple that had the carpenter ant infestation was near the pool, and so I got the ten gazillion whirlybird seeds in the spring to clean out of the pool and surrounding fauna, and then the leaves in the fall. Not to mention it started shading part of the pool around 3pm in the afternoon, and that's prime "float and burn" time!

I'll keep it in mind for other parts of the yard, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.