Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could this be right or did I do it wrong?- solved

1. Back To Top    #1

Could this be right or did I do it wrong?- solved

I finished my self install a week or so ago (working on concrete deck right now) and the pool is level as well as the water the automation system works great but I'm concerned about my gauge readings at the filter.

When on low speed it stays on 0, never moves even after a 24hours of run time. When the pumps on high the filter gauge shows 10. When vacuuming the dirt,etc from the build it went as high as 30 then after back washing filter it went back down to 10(only on high speed, 0 on low speed)

The water is clear and the filter seems to be doing its job but wondering if it should be reading higher than 0 on low speed?

All plumbing lines are 2 inch as follows:
    1 line to both main drains, 1 line to skimmer both to the jandy valve into pump
    Return line goes from SCG to jandy valve then the lines are run to each return. 4 return lines with 2 on each side of the jandy valve ( each has an inline valve for servicing)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could this be right or did I do it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights
    I finished my self install a week or so ago (working on concrete deck right now) and the pool is level as well as the water the automation system works great but I'm concerned about my gauge readings at the filter.

When on low speed it stays on 0, never moves even after a 24hours of run time. When the pumps on high the filter gauge shows 10. When vacuuming the dirt,etc from the build it went as high as 30 then after back washing filter it went back down to 10(only on high speed, 0 on low speed)

The water is clear and the filter seems to be doing its job but wondering if it should be reading higher than 0 on low speed?
    The zero on low seem a liitle low, but I'm not sure what the accuracy is that low. The 30 psi seems high typically we backwash by the time wwe reach 12-13 psi if starting at 10 psi. I don't think anything is wrong but I am not certain.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

My gauge also reads 0 on low and 10 on high. Previous gauge read 2 and 12. Pressure same. I think it's just the difference in gauges. But I backwash when it gets to 13 on high.
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

My cartridge filter reads 0 on low as well, but 18-20 on high. My installer told me to look at it in terms of efficiency, not pressure.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I wouldn't be concerned about this as long as you can feel flow at the returns. Pressure guages are notoriously inaccurate.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!