Fiberglass Pool with a blemish

Would you to save about $10,000

• Total voters
Oct 20, 2012
We are thinking of buying a fiberglass pool that is instock. It is the size we want but there is a blemish in it. The pool company said it was repaired and the color is slightly different from the surrounding. This doesn't bother me at all as long as it is only cosmetic and not structurally damaged. They said that the pool is still fully covered by Viking. There is also tile that has been partially installed. They said they would complete the tile obviously before it is installed. Not sure what the story behind the pool is, like why there would be some tile on it etc...
So, it comes with the tile (which I wouldn't have needed in a new pool) and it also comes with the infloor cleaning system which we would have wanted and is roughly a $5,000 option. Then they took off about $5,000 due to the blemish. Would you go for it? It is the pool shape we want and the color is nice.

In ground cleaning systems are problematic at best. Robots are far, far superior.

I'm curious as to how the pool would still have a fully covered manufacturers warranty on it, if the PB did the repairs to it?
I wouldn't take their word for it, sorry, I'd call the manufacturer and ask them myself as to what their policy is on that. If the PB is an authorized warranty repair center for Viking, not just a dealer. There's a difference.
If so, would the warranty cover any repairs or replacement if the pool's integrity becomes compromised due to the repair.

If it does become compromised and they can't repair it, find out what the warranty would and wouldn't cover. Labor to replace the pool, that sort of thing.

Then get what they tell you in writing, a copy of proof that the PB is authorized to do said repairs, what specifically you discussed regarding the warranty coverage and where it is in their warranty terms. Highlight it and date it.

I'm guessing that a customer of the PB ordered that pool, they went out to install it. Began the install, including starting the waterline tile project, only to find either A. Damage to the pool wall, or B. It became damaged on site, somehow. So the customer opted for a replacement instead of a warranty repair.

fiberglassforus said:
...This doesn't bother me at all as long as it is only cosmetic and not structurally damaged. They said that the pool is still fully covered by Viking. There is also tile that has been partially installed. They said they would complete the tile obviously before it is installed. Not sure what the story behind the pool is, like why there would be some tile on it etc...
So, it comes with the tile (which I wouldn't have needed in a new pool) and it also comes with the infloor cleaning system which we would have wanted and is roughly a $5,000 option. Then they took off about $5,000 due to the blemish. Would you go for it? It is the pool shape we want and the color is nice.

The previous responders have given you good advice. Reading through your own comments it doesn't sound like you know for sure that the repair was only cosmetic vs. structural. And, what a pool builder tells you doesn't count for a whole lot when a dispute arises; it's what is written in the contract that really matters. So, get the Viking warranty in writing; get clarification on what will be covered and who will do any repairs.

How do you feel about the pool builder? Is this the pool builder you would choose if this "deal" wasn't available?

One of the important things I have learned on this forum is that you have to be comfortable with the pool builder. It is the pool builder who will make you happy or could make you regret ever getting a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.