4 30.77%
  • No

5 38.46%
  • Maybe

4 30.77%

Thread: Fiberglass Pool with a blemish

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass Pool with a blemish

We are thinking of buying a fiberglass pool that is instock. It is the size we want but there is a blemish in it. The pool company said it was repaired and the color is slightly different from the surrounding. This doesn't bother me at all as long as it is only cosmetic and not structurally damaged. They said that the pool is still fully covered by Viking. There is also tile that has been partially installed. They said they would complete the tile obviously before it is installed. Not sure what the story behind the pool is, like why there would be some tile on it etc...
    So, it comes with the tile (which I wouldn't have needed in a new pool) and it also comes with the infloor cleaning system which we would have wanted and is roughly a $5,000 option. Then they took off about $5,000 due to the blemish. Would you go for it? It is the pool shape we want and the color is nice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberglass Pool with a blemish

Where is the tile and why is it partially installed already?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In ground cleaning systems are problematic at best. Robots are far, far superior.

I'm curious as to how the pool would still have a fully covered manufacturers warranty on it, if the PB did the repairs to it?
    I wouldn't take their word for it, sorry, I'd call the manufacturer and ask them myself as to what their policy is on that. If the PB is an authorized warranty repair center for Viking, not just a dealer. There's a difference.
    If so, would the warranty cover any repairs or replacement if the pool's integrity becomes compromised due to the repair.

If it does become compromised and they can't repair it, find out what the warranty would and wouldn't cover. Labor to replace the pool, that sort of thing.

Then get what they tell you in writing, a copy of proof that the PB is authorized to do said repairs, what specifically you discussed regarding the warranty coverage and where it is in their warranty terms. Highlight it and date it.

I'm guessing that a customer of the PB ordered that pool, they went out to install it. Began the install, including starting the waterline tile project, only to find either A. Damage to the pool wall, or B. It became damaged on site, somehow. So the customer opted for a replacement instead of a warranty repair.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

What Y-not said!

If it is too good to be true it is!

Check it out and ask LOTS of questions!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by fiberglassforus
    ...This doesn't bother me at all as long as it is only cosmetic and not structurally damaged. They said that the pool is still fully covered by Viking. There is also tile that has been partially installed. They said they would complete the tile obviously before it is installed. Not sure what the story behind the pool is, like why there would be some tile on it etc...
    So, it comes with the tile (which I wouldn't have needed in a new pool) and it also comes with the infloor cleaning system which we would have wanted and is roughly a $5,000 option. Then they took off about $5,000 due to the blemish. Would you go for it? It is the pool shape we want and the color is nice.
    The previous responders have given you good advice. Reading through your own comments it doesn't sound like you know for sure that the repair was only cosmetic vs. structural. And, what a pool builder tells you doesn't count for a whole lot when a dispute arises; it's what is written in the contract that really matters. So, get the Viking warranty in writing; get clarification on what will be covered and who will do any repairs.

How do you feel about the pool builder? Is this the pool builder you would choose if this "deal" wasn't available?

One of the important things I have learned on this forum is that you have to be comfortable with the pool builder. It is the pool builder who will make you happy or could make you regret ever getting a pool.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit