HELP! Bullet Proof SPLASHER pool has a WOUND!

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
No one around here is 'fessing up to this but ... .

My SPLASHER type pool (really thick 'bullet proof" material) has developed small pinhole cuts near the bottom and one has ruptured and is spilling a small spray of water. It looks like FREDDIE KRUGER was there (on the outside) and SLASHED the SPLASHER POOL. Can't say if it was the CAT? or the LAWNMOWER. My guess would be a garden tool came too close but that's placing blame and right now I'm more about fixing the problem.

Is there a way to seal up INSIDE or OUTSIDE these small holes? Any suggestions. I'm thinking they won't SPLIT but no one is allowed in our around the pool until we get a solution going here.

This would be it's 8th season so it has had some use but I thought they were good for 10 to 15 years. And the 'bullet proof' material was a BIG selling point for us. Maybe the end of the pool for us. That's too sad to even think about right now.

dpool

So it was a lawnmower .... I knew it! Tried to get too close and I think the wheels rubbed it raw. Going to pool store to see if the vinyl pool patch will help ... thinking I need something more but ...

dpool

So a quick trip to the pool store that was still open ...

Vinyl Pool Repair kit - $7.99 - comes with 2 long strips of very thin vinyl, a tube of goo, and little applicator brush. It says it it if for repairs on vinyl pools AND all those floatie things I have deflated around the pool. I have less confidence it will fix those - even less it's going to work on the pool.

Instructions say "repairs can be done under water." Well, after one long strip of vinyl and 1/3 goo used ... there are now three patches on the OUTSIDE of the pool. Couldn't get the patches to hold underwater. The goo stuck to the repair vinyl and seemed to melt it away but the goo and patch - didn't stick to the pool. Not sure what part of cut, goo, fold over, and apply I didn't get right. But, for the moment as the sun sets and the cold wind blows ... the small spray is stopped. I think -it's too dark to see if it's leaking under the patch. I just can't think that a little patch on the OUTSIDE of 5,000 gallons of water will still be there in the morning.

I'm thinking there's got to be a product like ROOF REPAIR goop I can just slop on there. Or how about that new GORRILLA Duct tape that's water proof? Did I mention this all took place in a nice - unswimable 60 degree pool? Maybe the water needed to be warmer for the patch to hold. Any ideas?

dpool

You might try contacting the company for advice:

Splash SuperPools, Ltd.| 3912 East Progress - North Little Rock, AR 72114 - Office 501.945.4999

I don't recall hearing of a super splash pool with a hole! :eek: Good luck!

Butterfly,

Thanks for the info! I think I will give them a call. I know these pools are supposed to be TOUGH. That's why we purchased it over an above ground vinyl liner type pool. I didn't want wayward animals with sharp nails, children with sharp edged toys, or such to poke a hole in the pool. Who would have suspected the gardner?

I have discovered the item that sought to 'kill' my pool. It was a poorly maintained lawn mower. I can see TIRE MARKS on one side of the pin holes. There was a sharp piece of metal that had broken thru it's protective rubber sleeve right above the left wheel. I think it's the lever that adjusts the wheel height. Basically when the person mowing between the STRUTS (like they have done for the last eight years) to get close to the grass at the edge, they repeated the action SEVERAL times at each location (THREE areas now) ... it was as if they were slicing with a knife or jabbing an ICE PICK into the side of the pool at one of the 'tightest' parts of the structure (the rounded bottom 'edge') so there was no 'give' in the material or push back (This pool came without corner bars to accomodate uneven ground so it can 'flex' a lot!). Result - THREE separate locations of 'scraping' wounds and three small pin holes that can be seen from the inside of the pool . With this much damage, the only thing that SAVED the backyard from a flood is the fact that the material of a SPLASHER pool does not SPLIT with the pressure of a small hole making it larger and CATASTROPHY! I'm thankful for that. However, as all here can probably attest to, seeing water flowing from a location other than an outlet or over the top -- can be very disturbing.

Two of the outside patches are holding. The deepest one is reduced to a small wet spot. Not spilling enough water to cause too much concern right now. However, I do need to see if there is a better solution. It seems to me when we purchased the pool - there was something in the packaging regarding leaks/patch ... it's been a long time since I've seen those boxes and now I need to do an archeological 'dig' through the garage to see if I can locate that stuff. Based on the condition of the garage, I'm sure it's in there ... just not sure when it will be unearthed. I'll need to dig down about eight years!

Thanks for your help - I'll let you all know what I find out.

dpool

Sounds like you tried to use a large strip inside the pool. I've had good luck using small round pieces up to 2" diameter to cover holes. Maybe take a bunch to do it in your case. You put the glue on, fold the patch onto itself then when under the water peel it open while pushing onto the liner. Squeeze out any air. You want the smallest contact with water as possible. The water also helps push against the patch where the hole is.

Well the SPLASH Superpool website has a patch kit for about $12.00. I forgot about the time difference and should have tried calling them earlier today.

However, I didn't realize that my pool actually has a BRAND NAME of SPLASH-AROUND-POOLS. There'a a big STICKER on the ends that say that ... I never realized that was the name of the pool manufacture.

I just called them and after explaining the whole sordid tale of the 'killer lawn mower,' the person that answered the phone suggested I go to the hardware store and purchase 'clear PVC glue" and put a dab on my finger and wipe clear the (outside) area of the pin hole and stick the dab in the hole. If that doesn't work do it again. That should do the trick."

Okay - so I guess I'm off to find 'clear PVC glue.'

I'll let you know what happens ... .

dpool

MikeInNH said:
Sounds like you tried to use a large strip inside the pool. I've had good luck using small round pieces up to 2" diameter to cover holes. Maybe take a bunch to do it in your case. You put the glue on, fold the patch onto itself then when under the water peel it open while pushing onto the liner. Squeeze out any air. You want the smallest contact with water as possible. The water also helps push against the patch where the hole is.

Thanks for your input. I missed seeing your post before I found out about the PVC glue. Yes, we were working with a huge - 2x4 or bigger patch and didn't realize that you can't unfold until you're right on top of the cut. Since it was FREEZING cold and difficult for the person to go below water AND hold the patch and not shiver ... well ... that's what was happening. They were opening the fold before going under and the water was hitting the patch and making it not stick. We'll know for next time (HOPE there's never a next time!). So far outside patches hae been holding and I haven't had time to do the PVC fix. Soon.

dpool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.