Can't figure out my filter system

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
My pool plumbing system is pretty simple: one skimmer, two returns, and a main drain. I have a DE filter, and it (obviously) has input and output pipes. I can't tell by looking at it which is which. I can follow the water from the pump to the multiport valve, but from there I'm lost. Because I don't have a lot of extra things like a spa and fountains, I don't have lots of valves to deal with like most of the videos on Youtube show. The best video I've seen so far demonstrates how to blow out the lines using a shop vac at the filter output pipe. But how do I figure out which pipe is the output?

Then, that will only help me for blowing out the returns. How do I blow out the skimmer and main drain? From the videos, it appears there would be a valve to open and shut, but my system doesn't have one. I'm guessing I should set the multiport valve to a specific setting, but have no idea which one.

Some posts I've read make it seem like I could (or should) blow out my lines from the skimmer, but I can't figure that one out at all.

I've done a lot of research here about closing my pool, and much of it is making me more confused than ever. I'm starting to feel like an idiot, because what is obviously not that difficult is seeming incredibly complicated, and I can't find simple answers. Mostly it's about blowing out the lines, which if I screw up, could be a very costly mistake. I'm starting to get really nervous about it.

Help?!

Kelley

Can you post pics of your system? Every one is different...some have jandy valves, some have ball valves....sometimes some have no valves. It would simplify things if you could post pics of your filter, pump, and the lines running to and from them.

Okay, here are pictures of my system:

dsc0367ml.jpg

This is the whole system. The pump-like looking thing in the middle is an old heater than is no longer part of the system.

dsc0368zb.jpg

Closer view of the pump.

dsc0369z.jpg

Closer view of the filter lines and multiport valve.

dsc0370gq.jpg

Another whole system view.

Thanks for your help.

Kelley

This is the whole system. The pump-like looking thing in the middle is an old heater than is no longer part of the system.
That is a booster pump for an automatic cleaner, not a heater but given it doesn't look like it is working, it probably doesn't matter.

But let's start with the basics. The water flows as follows:

From the skimmer and main-drain, the water flows into the pump inlet which is the right most pipe coming out of the ground going into the pump. This is the suction side of the pump.

The pump adds pressure to the water and the water flows next into the filter via the multi-port valve. Everything after the pump is on the pressure or return side of the pump.

When the multi-port valve is set for circulation or bypass, the water then flows through the pipe that goes into the ground on the left.

When the multi-port valve is set for backwash, the water flows out through the multi-port valve via the grey fitting on left side of the valve. This is where you would put your backwash hose.

Thanks. That reinforces what I already thought. But I'm still not completely clear. The video I saw that was the easiest to understand showed them blowing out the lines from the return pipe coming out of the filter. You just unscrew the connection, and attach the shop vac hose to that pipe. My problem is I can't tell which pipe is the return one from the filter - the top, or the bottom? Also, they didn't show how to blow out the skimmer or main drain specifically, since it was a complicated system with lots of valves for all kinds of things I don't have, like a spa. There were valves for the MD and skimmer. So now I know how to blow out the returns, but not the main drain or the skimmer. For the main drain and skimmer, would I just unscrew the connection to the right most pipe and blow through that? How would I then plug it up fast enough? I can use a gizmo for the skimmer, but what about the mail drain?

Ok... The pipe that comes into your pump is from the skimmer and main drain (you do have one?). Your main drain may be conected to your skimmer via another pipe that comes up under the skimmer basket. Drain down your water. Go and look under the basket.....if there are two open holes, your main drain is one of those (usually the front one). From the pump you should be able to disconnect that pipe running to it, blow that line....that should come out of the skimmer, plug it. Then you can blow your main drain using that second opening in the skimmer. Blow it for a while until large bubbles appear out of the drain then plug that with an expandable plug or threaded,.....if it fits, to create an air lock. Go back and put some antifreeze down the skimmer line if desired.

The easiest/fastest way to blow out your system would be putting the shop vac in the skimmer on the port to the pump and blowing all the water out of the suction line through the pump, through the filter and out the returns all in one shot.

Sort of like this guy shows but on a much more complicated pool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwIJfxHVNQ

You don't need to fiddle with any valves so it should be easier. However, you may need a very strong shop vac.

PJ said:
Ok... The pipe that comes into your pump is from the skimmer and main drain (you do have one?). Your main drain may be conected to your skimmer via another pipe that comes up under the skimmer basket. Drain down your water. Go and look under the basket.....if there are two open holes, your main drain is one of those (usually the front one). From the pump you should be able to disconnect that pipe running to it, blow that line....that should come out of the skimmer, plug it. Then you can blow your main drain using that second opening in the skimmer. Blow it for a while until large bubbles appear out of the drain then plug that with an expandable plug or threaded,.....if it fits, to create an air lock. Go back and put some antifreeze down the skimmer line if desired.

I do have two holes in my skimmer under the basket, so that makes perfect sense. This is starting to seem less intimidating. Thank you!

Kelley

mas985 said:
The easiest/fastest way to blow out your system would be putting the shop vac in the skimmer on the port to the pump and blowing all the water out of the suction line through the pump, through the filter and out the returns all in one shot.

Sort of like this guy shows but on a much more complicated pool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwIJfxHVNQ

You don't need to fiddle with any valves so it should be easier. However, you may need a very strong shop vac.

I can try that first, and then resort to blowing out at the filter line if my shop vac doesn't do the job.

Thanks.

Kelley

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.