Calcium is way high please help

My pool just got done and my tap water levels were:

FC = 1
    CC = 2
    PH = OVER 8.2
    TA = 80
    CH = 150
    CYA = 0

They started my pool and my calcium jumped to 370.

They stabilized my pool two days ago and my calcium was 450

NOW, These are my levels today and my calcium has steadily gone up.

FC = 10
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 80
    CH = 550 (DID TEST TWICE TO BE SURE)
    CYA = 40

The only thing being used right now are trichlor pucks while I go through the breaKing in period on my plaster. Do they have calcium in them? I am really getting worried about how high the levels have raised in a week.

Greg
    --

Greg Watson

15,500 Gallon Freeform IG Martinique Luna Quarts Pool, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy Stealth Pump, Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator and Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

--

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Calcium is way high please help

Your calcium levels have went up from the new plaster. I would reccomend vaccuming to waste as you need to clean and refilling. Your calcium levels aren't ridiculous, but keep you PH in balance or you will have issues.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

And no trichlor don't contain calcium.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think that new plaster could cause the calcium levels to go up that much. I would ask the service people if they have added calcium.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi neighbor! These folks here will get you fixed up!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    I don't think that new plaster could cause the calcium levels to go up that much. I would ask the service people if they have added calcium.
    I took a sample to Leslie's near me and they confirmed the calcium numbers. They recommended Caltreat but I have seen mixed reviews on it.

Greg
    --

Greg Watson

15,500 Gallon Freeform IG Martinique Luna Quarts Pool, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy Stealth Pump, Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator and Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

--

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep an very close eye on PH and do not let it go above 7.8 or you risk calcium scaling. 550 CH can still be managed but not if you can not check PH daily. Otherwise I would suggest a partial drain and fill to lower your CH level.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Even if Leslie's confirmed it, I'd question that reading unless it was done with a speedstir.

My CH level dropped several hundred points when switching from hand swirling to speedstir. Nothing else changed. Keep the pH in the lower reaches of the comfort zone and you'll be all right. My CSI is still negative despite CH levels over 800. Play with the pool calculator and see what lowering pH and TA will do.

You can also pump out a few inches at a time to water the lawn, as I do. It might only be a 5% reduction each time, but it helps, and none of the water is wasted.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that it's important to find out why the calcium is so high. For the plaster to contribute that much calcium, I think that it would have to be defective. If the calcium came from someone adding it, then they should be responsible for either explaining why they added so much, or lowering it.

Also, if you have copper in the water, then the test might be inaccurate. Try adding 5 drops of R-0012 first and using a speedstir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Watson
    My pool just got done and my tap water levels were:

FC = 1
    CC = 2
    PH = OVER 8.2
    TA = 80
    CH = 150
    CYA = 0

They started my pool and my calcium jumped to 370.

They stabilized my pool two days ago and my calcium was 450

NOW, These are my levels today and my calcium has steadily gone up.

FC = 10
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 80
    CH = 550 (DID TEST TWICE TO BE SURE)
    CYA = 40

The only thing being used right now are trichlor pucks while I go through the breaKing in period on my plaster. Do they have calcium in them? I am really getting worried about how high the levels have raised in a week.

Greg

What happens to a pool when the calcium levels are too high?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio.Largo
    What happens to a pool when the calcium levels are too high?
    You get scaling. It can look like your pool has a skin disease, and it can get very coarse, like sandpaper.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Even with high calcium levels you can prevent scaling by keeping a careful balance of pH and TA to produce a CSI at zero of very slightly negative. I have been able to prevent scaling with CH levels as high as 1000.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Even if Leslie's confirmed it, I'd question that reading unless it was done with a speedstir.

My CH level dropped several hundred points when switching from hand swirling to speedstir. Nothing else changed. Keep the pH in the lower reaches of the comfort zone and you'll be all right. My CSI is still negative despite CH levels over 800. Play with the pool calculator and see what lowering pH and TA will do.

You can also pump out a few inches at a time to water the lawn, as I do. It might only be a 5% reduction each time, but it helps, and none of the water is wasted.
    I ordered and received the speed stir and you were right. My 550 CH dropped to 490 with the speed stir. This little device is awesome and makes testing so much easier.

Thanks for the tip.

So right now I am sitting at

FC - 5
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 80
    CH - 490
    CYA - 40

Pool is crystal clear and is looking great. If only summer had held out a little longer here in Dallas

PS turned off the Rainbow and switched to bleach yesterday. I am hoping to be able to alternate all winter to keep my CYA right around 40 and keep my FC at a consistant 5
    --

Greg Watson

--

14. Back To Top    #14

PS turned off the Rainbow and switched to bleach yesterday. I am hoping to be able to alternate all winter to keep my CYA right around 40 and keep my FC at a consistant 5
    You will likely find that as the water temperature drops, your chlorine consumption will go way down. And if the CYA is 40 now, and you don't have it overflow with rain, it will probably be close to 40 when it starts warming up again.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    You will likely find that as the water temperature drops, your chlorine consumption will go way down. And if the CYA is 40 now, and you don't have it overflow with rain, it will probably be close to 40 when it starts warming up again.
    We do have a rain overflow and I figure between evaporation, as well as, overflow, my CYA and CH will drop as the winter goes on. My wife is not into all this pool stuff, she just wans to swim , and I travel quite alot.

I figure I will turn the rainbow on for the days that I am away from home usually 3 days a week, and turn it off and use bleach when I am home. This should keep my CYA consistant over the winter, or at least that is my hope.

By start of summer I should have my parastalic pump set up in place.
    --

Greg Watson

--