Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MD connection to skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

MD connection to skimmer?

How can you tell if the MD is connected to that second hole in the skimmer? I'm getting ready to close my pool, and I've read about having to blow out the main drain and plug the hole, but I have no idea where that might be. We did not install the pool (it came with our house), and essentially no helpful documentation was left from the previous owners. What would I look for if the MD was piped directly to the pad?

Thanks.

Kelley
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: MD connection to skimmer?

If the main drain is daisy chained through the skimmer usually there will be two open holes leading to pipes under the skimmer basket. If not one will be plugged.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: MD connection to skimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleyaynn
    How can you tell if the MD is connected to that second hole in the skimmer? I'm getting ready to close my pool, and I've read about having to blow out the main drain and plug the hole, but I have no idea where that might be. We did not install the pool (it came with our house), and essentially no helpful documentation was left from the previous owners. What would I look for if the MD was piped directly to the pad?

Thanks.

Kelley
    If the main drain is piped directly to the pad there will be two pipes (or more) coming up to the inlet side of the pump. One of those pipes will be the main drain, and should have it's own valve.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!