Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build pool coping and deck question

1. Back To Top    #1

New build pool coping and deck question

We are in the middle of construction and I just laid my travertine coping down and I am really trying to understand how the travertine is not undersized or too short since it does not cover the entire edge beam of my pool. It seems that the pea gravel deck will have to be poured extremely shallow as it butts up against the travertine.

Maybe I am not understanding the construction technique but it seems that the coping needs to be larger to cover the entire pool gunite edge so that the deck can be poured at the same thickness all the way up the the edge of the coping.

[attachment=0:1tucnkii]IMG_0610.JPG[/attachment:1tucnkii]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build pool coping and deck question

While I'm not a concrete expert, I am inclined to agree with you. Why don't you ask your builder? Hopefully some more knowledgeable people will stop by.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I will talk to my builder about it but I wanted some expert opinions first. I can't seem to find any builds on the internet showing a similar installation method...

4. Back To Top    #4

I am no expert...But having been avaible while my pool was built, and later finding all the mistakes made by costly repairs, i have learned much.

That is incorrect...If its installed that way, the deck will have to actually sit on the beam wall...That is NOT good...I would suggest running another coarse of material behind the coping , perhaps a contrasting color, to cover the beam completely..
    ----

~12,000g IG pool w/ Spa and sun shelf, Jandy rs8 automation, Jandy CL340 filter, 2 Jandy Stealth pumps, Aquapure SWG, Ultrapure Ozone and Aquacal heat pump...

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

We would generally 45 the back of the pool beam to better accept the poured concrete, and keep the joint behind the coping.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-PB
    We would generally 45 the back of the pool beam to better accept the poured concrete, and keep the joint behind the coping.

A very good alternitave....easier before the pour, then after I am sure.....

It looks like a thick wall to me ...mine is only 12" thick, full of steele, and very stout...
    ----

~12,000g IG pool w/ Spa and sun shelf, Jandy rs8 automation, Jandy CL340 filter, 2 Jandy Stealth pumps, Aquapure SWG, Ultrapure Ozone and Aquacal heat pump...

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all... I spoke to my pool builder and he uses the method of "45ing" the beam...