Piping question. Additional line on suction side of pump

Oct 19, 2012
Hello all. I apologize if this has been answered but i have searched for it multiple ways and haven't found the answer. I JUST moved into a house and the pool pump seized after just a week. It was old and I knew it would need to be replaced but i was hoping for a little bit more out of it.

I have 3 pipes going into the suction side of the pump and before I replace the pump (this weekend) I need to know what this line could be and whether it needs to be kept or if i can cap it off. If I need to keep it, I'll have to redo that plumbing to as you can see how close to the in port of the pump it is. The new pump will have unions and with what is left after i cut off the pipe to the old pump, i wont have anywhere to put a new slip connection on. I have owned two pools in the past and both only had one T valve that came from the skimmer and main drain. I have posted a pic to help explain. Please help!
I am also looking to remove the pool heater that is rusted and no longer works. I am in S.Fl and do not need one so, now is the time to get it out of there since I am having to remove all this plumbing anyway.

The first pic shows the question about the suction side pipe and has a caption with "i have no idea."
[attachment=1:bsn4fna9]Suction Side.JPG[/attachment:bsn4fna9]
The second pic shows the same thing but emphasis on the heater piping. The question for that is, I was planning on just cutting the heater out of the system and connecting as shown in the pic. Does anyone see a problem with that? I know that it will decrease my flow resistance some but i dont think it would be a big enough deal to cause any problems. I am also thinking that i can remove the vertical "trap section" of the pipe because that just creates unneeded bends in the pipe now that the heater will not be there. The old rusted heater is shown in the top left. The two pipes running to the heater and from the heater can also be seen.
[attachment=0:bsn4fna9]PRESSURE SIDE.JPG[/attachment:bsn4fna9]

Thanks in advance!!!
Mike

Attachments

• Suction Side.JPG
    Suction Side.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 116
  • PRESSURE SIDE.JPG
    PRESSURE SIDE.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 117
Re: Piping question. Additional line on suction side of pum

I believe the first one is for a suction side cleaner. As far as your second question you should be ok doing that but I'm not a plumbing expert. You might want to wait for a second opinion on that one!

Look for a small possibly (hopefull) covered port in the pool - the port would go to that suction for a suction side cleaner. The port would have a flip up cover on it if it's like most of them.

So i took another look around and there is a non-covered and non-threaded opening in the side of the pool. I think it can safely be confirmed that it is for a suction side cleaner. A bit of the housing has been broken off and i suspect that the cover went with it. Thanks a bunch for the quick replies!

This next question doesn't belong in this thread BUT since I already have one open and I noticed it when I just did my re-look, what has everyone typically done when a return jet house has been broken off? How could one replace it so that a return jet could be screwed back on? I am sure it is a pretty common thing and I hope there is an easier solution than, hire a pool contractor to cut it out, replace the entire pipe with a new threaded one.

Thanks again for the comments, now i just need confirmation that I can redo the plumbing, removing the water heater from the line as i described in my original post.

found this thread and it is similar to my question about the return jets. any-good-suggestions-to-remove-plaster-from-return-threads-t53584.html?hilit=return%20jet%20repair%20return%20jet%20pool%20return%20pipe

wasn't able to find anything else and mine isn't quite the same. That part doesn't have to be done this weekend so I'll not worry about that and post in the appropriate thread when the time comes. That only leaves the replumbing question for now.

Picture? I assume you are talking about the part where you screw in the eyeball? Eyeballs are made of three parts the ball, a collar, and a threaded insert. Is the part that is broken male or female threaded?

-sent with Tapatalk 2

UnderWaterVanya said:
Picture? I assume you are talking about the part where you screw in the eyeball? Eyeballs are made of three parts the ball, a collar, and a threaded insert. Is the part that is broken male or female threaded?

-sent with Tapatalk 2

It is too dark to take a pic right now but of the three parts: the eyeball, the collar, and the threaded insert...it is the threaded insert that is broken. In fact, the eyeball and collar are not even there because the part is broken. there is also some gunite, diamond brite, plaster, whatever that is is covering most of the threads that are left. I now know that the threaded insert can be removed and i am assuming there is something that is in place so that when i remove the extra concrete, I don't create a leak? I know pictures help a bunch and tomorrow morning I'll snap a few and post them.

Look at this: http://store.poolcenter.com/directional ... hread=True

Do you see how the threads are sticking out? That part screws into a permanent part in the wall that has female threads. If the part that is broken has male threads you should be able to remove it safely. Pics when you can will help.

On the suction side (that valve and pipe are for a vacuum/suction side cleaner); your choice, you can repair the fitting in the pool by getting the threaded insert out, and use it or cancel it as you see fit. I suspect that the tight plumbing on the suction side of the pump is going to cause you problems and may require replumbing the whole suction manifold, in which case you can easily keep the dedicated vacuum/cleaner line.
Your proposed path for the return side (eliminating the heater and that convoluted piping) will work fine.

Once again, appreciate immensely the responses. Didn't have a chance to take pics today. Busy day. Had to rewire all of the pump wiring and remove the heater wiring. They had a service disconnect for the heater but only a double pole switch for the pump. The switch was bad so I decided to reuse the service disconnect for the new pump instead.

Should get to the pump tomorrow after another run to the hardware store to get some new conduit. It was pretty torn up. I'll post some final pics of what i did just for completion and people like me like that kind of stuff. :)

Till then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok. so pump is in and working. Thanks for the help on that. Didn't get a picture of that setup yet but i did take a picture of the eyeball socket that was was talking about before. I also felt in there as far back as my fingers reached and i didn't feel any notches in the pipe, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. The notch may just be back further than my fingers can reach. Here are 2 pics:
[attachment=1:3ub57sbq]IMG_1284.jpg[/attachment:3ub57sbq]
[attachment=0:3ub57sbq]IMG_1285.jpg[/attachment:3ub57sbq]
The shadows create the idea that there is a line or a notch on the bottom side of the pipe but i assure you it is smooth.
So based on that, any ideas on how to replace/repair?

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 51

Did you try opening the mystery valve and confirming suction in the port in the pool?

That looks like a friction fit return socket - here are return eyes that don't screw in they rely on friction to stay put.

Can you get a ruler next to that and take another picture or give us the ID of that hole? Make it pretty accurate - say within 1/16th of an inch.

carlscan26 said:
Did you try opening the mystery valve and confirming suction in the port in the pool?
I did. You guys were right on the money.

Now about that friction eye....I think you meant to leave a link but forgot.

Also, I'll get a measurement asap today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.