Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Seals

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Seals

I have a 1.5 HP pump and I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with pump seals if they were adding chemicals through their pool skimmer. I have added CYA to my pool through the pool skimmer according to the directions and on occasion, liquid chlorine. The reason I ask is that the pump manufactuer in their instructions (I saw this on the web too) says that chemicals should not be added in front of the pump due to possible damage to the seals. Also does anyone know the most commonly used pump seal?; it cannot be Viton, that has high chemical resistance, but is expensive. I appreciate any advice you can give me.
    15-foot above ground pool, Hayward Turbo-Flow pump with sand filter, use liquid chlorine, Metchlor Caddy pool chlorinator; Metchlor Caddy also used for automatically adding muriatic acid; winterize with light and water resistant cover.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Pump Seals

That's going to be a tough question for someone to answer. In order to know if it was a chemical issue you'd have to have the failed seal forensically tested and it just isn't worth it. Most people having problems with seals just replace them and never think to attribute the cause to anything.

You shouldn't be pouring chemicals in the skimmer anyway. The pump mfg's aren't the only ones recommonding that you not add chemicals to the skimmer. This website promotes not adding chemicals to the skimmer. It can do more damage than just ruin a seal.

By the way, the elastomer in water pump seals is most likely EPDM.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

near the swamp

Re: Pump Seals

we strictly use US Seals