Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: strange question

1. Back To Top    #1

strange question

I have a customer that has an old DE filter. They want to replace and dont have any preference of which filter. I have a sta rite cartridge filter in stock that they want me to put in because ill give it to them cheaper. Anyway The old filter had a brass push pull backwash valve and copper piping going in to the heater. Can i just slide the new filter into the backwash valve and just not use it? or will this cause a problem?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: strange question

Quote Originally Posted by keene3b07
    I have a customer that has an old DE filter. They want to replace and dont have any preference of which filter. I have a sta rite cartridge filter in stock that they want me to put in because ill give it to them cheaper. Anyway The old filter had a brass push pull backwash valve and copper piping going in to the heater. Can i just slide the new filter into the backwash valve and just not use it? or will this cause a problem?
    I suppose there would be a slight loss of head making the extra bends inside the valve. But really, the odds of the plumbing lining up is pretty slim. If uou have to cut pipes, may as well do them all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: strange question

As Richard said, there's a slim to none chance that it'll line up or that the ports are the correct orientation if they do. I'd cut it out and replumb to the new filter with PVC.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit