Need advice on replacing pump

Jul 26, 2011
I am replacing my pump and would like to get some advice on the best place to cut my intake/outtake PVC at? This will be my first time working with PVC (and replacing a pump). So, where do I cut for easy replacement?

qEtUX.jpg

TCqFb.jpg

I'm interested in the answer also. If I recall right a 2.25" or 2.5" pipe will slip over the coupler you have there assuming that is 1.5" pipe. That plus a reducing bushing might be the ticket.

- Sent using Tapatalk

What pump are you replacing it with? Easiest would be to just unscrew the coupling to the pump and replace with a like pump. Or if there is nothing wrong with the wet end, just replace the motor and leave the plumbing alone.

To know where to cut, kind of depends on where the new pumps connections are located ... and how they attach. If they are not the union design, then it is a little more tricky.

Usually you would want to start by leaving as much pipe as possible when you cut. Then make adjustments are required. For example, on the suction side, you might end up having to cut the pipe in the middle to find a coupler and then add another short piece of pipe to have enough length to the new fitting such that hopefully the pressure side mount lines up.

My new pump will have the same PVC connection direction, albeit 5-10 inches off laterally. The new pump (hayward maxflo2) will come with unions. I'm more concerned about whether I should cut above the T-joints, below, way more upstream? Should I cut closer to the intake joint or closer the pump union? Appreciate the response.

On the suction side, you want to start with as much pipe as possible (so cut right at the pump union) ... although this assume you are going to make sure the suction port is at the same height. You may want to remove more if it helps the return side line up. You do not have a lot of pipe left here and probably want to avoid having to replace the valve ... so leave as much pipe as possible.

Odds are that you are going to have to cut above the return T (with the hose bib) in order to try to get the pipe to line up with the new pump ... light require an added 45 degree turn or something. You will have to just put the pump in place a see what you can do. You can always remove more pipe if you need to.

The Max Flo2 has a suction height of 7.63" and a discharge setback of 8.73". I can't tell which pump you have now but if you can find the dimensions you can figure out if the suction height and the discharge setback is the same, and if it is, you may not have to change anything. If at least the suction height is the same (or can be set the same) you won't have to cut the vertical pipes to raise or lower the 3-way valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.