Draining Pool Down

We've had our pool for one year. Installed and closed right away last year. From what I've read, it all depends on where you live. In places where you will have frozen water you want to be below the lines to make sure there is no water in the pipes and that when it freezes (ice expands) it won't creep into the lines. It can be pretty expensive to fix what ice breaks.

We are in MN so will definitely drain 6" below the skimmer, disconnect and drain all hoses, the pump and filter. We may add RV antifreeze just as a precaution. Will also be placing a cover over the filter to help protect it from the elements and probably bring the pump inside (probably unnecessary but we've got the space so better safe than sorry).

This of course is after we have gotten every single leaf and pine needle out of the pool, brought it to shock level, given it a good vaccumm and placed the winter cover on it.

Even if you removed all the exterior stuff and plugged up the holes, a coworker did just that and the ice expanded and ripped out the plugs.

Another thing he noticed, his was frozen several inches and when it started to thaw, it was thawing more around the edge under the water and the edge of the ice is like a razor edge.He was worried about the kids wanting to play with the ice as it was easily able to be spun in a circle in the pool. He said it would have very easily shredded the liner if it touched while being spun around. something to think about if you have hyper kids like he does who are prone not to listen (I guess he also didn't cover last year, so it would be easy for them to access while playing outside.)

I put a cover on my skimmer and plug the return without dropping the water much. I usually only drop it enough to make sure ice/snow won't push any unfrozen water over the liner. I've been doing this for a few years. I did notice this past year that the ice made some gouges in the liner but it would have done that lower instead if I dropped the level more. Last year was a strange winter up here, probably froze and thawed many times. I always use a pillow and cover on my pool. It's nice to open it with enough water to run the filter.

kodeblue said:
This may be a dumb question. Why do I have to drain the water down below he skimmer on my above ground pool? Could I not just plug the eye for the return and the skimmer?

Not a dumb question, you don't have to drain it.

Plug the return (screw style plugs are better if possible)

Either use a Gizzmo in the skimmer or even better an Aquador and then remove all the plumbing from your skimmer and return.

I believe in air pillows, I'd put an automatic pump in the middle of the cover instead.

Take your pump indoors for winter and if your filter is sand you can leave it in place just remove the drain plug, sight glass, and pressure guage and leave the handle on a high spot. If your filter is cartridge or DE you can choose to bring it inside as well since they are light weight.

Yup," I don't" sorry about the typo.

They don't do much as an ice compensator since they float on the surface. If you had a 50 gallon drum filled with anti-freeze and bricks in the middle of your pool; that would work as a compensator :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.