Best DE Filter? Pentair Hayward Jandy Waterway?

SLB

Oct 18, 2012
I recently moved to a house that has a recreational pool (volleyball sized) - about 14,000 gallons. The DE filter system is probably as old as the pool (25 years) so I'm inclined to replace it. Looking for any recommendations, do's, don'ts, etc? Pool has a 2HP Pentair pump, spa has a supplemental pump (also 2HP). Supplemental pump does not run except when additional jets in spa are desired. I don't mind learning and I understand buying a new DE filter may also require a new backwash filter. I just want a good, long-lasting, effective, fairly low maintenance system. Thank you! SLB

Welcome to TFP!
All of them work the same way and are fairly comparable. We typically recommend getting as large a filter as fits in your budget and on your equipment pad; it just means less cleaning.

Is there a problem with your current filter? If not, no reason to replace it!

Yes - my current filter is a 48sf stainless steel model and is starting develop pin-holes in the bottom so it leaks. It's not terrible, but I've noticed a replacement may only run a few hundred dollars - as little as $300 and not more than $800. Also, there is a version of Hayward that does not require back-washing. I wondered if that would be a good way to go? Thanks!

Another thing to consider ... you may be able to save a good bit on electricity by getting a smaller 2-speed motor/pump for your circulation/filtration. 2HP is quite over-sized since you have a separate spa pump.

Something to keep in mind if the motor starts to go.

Although you can have a DE filter that is too large to adequately backwash with a smaller pump ... but I think you would have to go quite extreme for that to be an issue.

What DE filter does not require backwashing? Is it a cartridge filter?

Hayward Perflex® Extended-Cycle PERFLEXEXC

Providing crystal clear, sparkling water at an economical price, the Perflex D.E. Filters have proven reliability, and energy savings over many years, Perflex has set the standard in swimming pool filtration by incorporating the patented Flex-Tube™ design in combination with D.E. filter powder – the most efficient dirt remover known for pool filtration. The result is superior water clarity, extended filter cleaning cycles – and no backwashing required.

That filter is for above ground pools and way too small. {EDIT: I now see that they also have some larger models for in-ground pools that are almost big enough. Really there is no such thing as an above vs in-ground filter}

For a pool your size, we would generally recommend filters of at least these sizes:
Sand: 2.8 sqft
Cartridge: 220 sqft
DE: 42 sqft

Cartridge you could go bigger just meaning you have to clean it less often (some members only clean it once per year ... any not due to a noticable pressure rise)
Sand and DE you have to be sure the pump is large enough to backwash, and going bigger again will just reduce the frequency of cleaning.

If you do not want to backwash anymore ... get a large cartridge filter. Be warned however, that clearing an algae infected pool with a cartridge filter is a lot of hassle (sand being the easiest).

I'd really only look at two things. Well, three, price always being something to consider..
1) What brands are stocked nearby? What happens if you make a mistake while cleaning it and rip a screen or nick the O-ring? Not use the pool for a week while you wait for parts? I live in greater Los Angeles, so that's not a concern for me. But since you've given us no clue where you're located, it needs to be mentioned.
2) Do you have room for it? Include space to access the backwash valve. Whoever set up my filter put the valve up against the wall. I have to lay on my side on the ground to move the lever. Had it been rotated 180 degrees, it would be a piece of cake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.