Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I have scale problem looking for best solution.

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I have scale problem looking for best solution.

Hi,

I've had a wonderful swimming year thanks to folks at TFP. I do think I have unfortunately run into a scale problem. If anybody disagrees with my diagnosis please say so.

The problem developed when I was on vacation for 2 weeks in August. I came home and there was an off white colored coating over much of the pool. It can be scratched off with abrasion and some elbow grease.

At that time I got back from vacation the Ph was >>>8 and the calcium was 1000. My pool was re plastered in the spring and keeping up with the chemistry has been a chore. I have to confess I should have known better. And I'm kind of beating myself up even though I was checking on my pool daily up until my vacation. I was aware of the Ph issue and had left instructions to add acid but it was inadequate obviously. I had problems measuring the CA because it was so high. Dave S. helped me out and even recommended draining off the water,I didn't because vacation was coming up, and I have serious drainage problems in my back yard. I wish I had listened to him though.

Now the chemistry is better ph 7.2 TA 60 CA is still 1000 and I plan to drain and refill. However I still need almost daily addition of acid.

Do you all agree problem is scale? What would be the best and easiest way to get the pool white again? I prefer to do things myself if possible.

Also should I not close my pool this winter since the plastering is still causing the CA to rise and almost daily addition of acid are still needed?

Thanks.
    15.5K inground plastered April'12. triton 60 sand filter 1.5 HP Hayward. combo triclor/bleach sanitization.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I think I have scale problem looking for best solution.

This may not be the most popular solution but I have had success, with no problems, using an acid shock. I add enough acid to bring the ALK to 0, leave it overnight...usually the scale disappears....then bring it back up to 7.2 ph and 80 ALK. (not to be done with vinyl lined pools).
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the problem is scale! You need to drain and refill, and then you can:
    - keep the pH on the low side (7-ish) and the TA low, and brush, and the scale will gradually disappear. How long it takes depends on how much there is!
    - or, have the pool acid washed ($$)
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I had scale in my pool. Lowered the TA, kept a close watch on my pH, and using the Pool Calculator, I kept the CSI index slightly negative. Within a matter of several weeks the scale started to disappear. Now, no more scale.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    I had scale in my pool. Lowered the TA, kept a close watch on my pH, and using the Pool Calculator, I kept the CSI index slightly negative. Within a matter of several weeks the scale started to disappear. Now, no more scale.
    Did you have to brush it excessively, just normal or something different?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Nope, I have an in floor cleaning system and seldom brush the pool. I know I should but I've been pretty lazy about it. I just lowered the CH with a partial drain, then kept pH and TA in control so that the CSI stayed just negative of zero, and the scale went away. Over time, it just re dissolved into the water.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit