Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
My pump makes a higher pitch winding type of noise pretty much all the time and has all year. I assume this is a bearing that needs replacing. The pump is a 2HP Hayward/A.O. Smith, it is programmable and claims it is two speed, but when it goes to low through the programming, it just turns itself completely off. There does not appear to be a way to directly put the pump on low. The pump came with the house I bought in June and was left out in a pool shed over two Chicago winters. It was leaking badly (gasket) and also the impeller was broken so I replaced those back in early July and it made it all season for me and seems to work fine save for the noise and lack of a low speed. I do not want to chance that it will last through next year and have to make an emergency repair mid-season.

So, my questions:

1) Does this indeed sound like a bearing that is on its last legs? Is there a way to confirm?
2) What is the approximate cost of bearing replacement if I do it myself and what is the level of difficulty?
3) Given that I don't know the exact history of the pump, might I just be better off purchasing a new one and having this on hand for an emergency back-up? (Seems 2HP for my pool is a bit of overkill)

Thanks!

Moved as requested.

I do not know too much about motor repairs, but from what I think I have read ... replacing the bearings has become more difficult than it used to be (not sure it is a DIY job).

What kind of pump is it ... model?
What kind of cleaner do you have?
Do you have any special water flow needs? If not, then I agree 2HP is likely overkill and you could likely get by with a smaller 2-speed. If you go with a smaller motor, you may have to also change the impeller.

Jason, I'm having trouble locating it online, but the model # on the pump is sw15851x20ftlf. Google search does not turn up any matches, but I know the model number is correct, I am looking at a pic I took of the pump as we speak.

Cleaner - I just have the manual vacuum head if that is what you are referring to, though I'd like to upgrade that, just haven't done the research. Also, I might add some solar panels next season, would that argue for a 2HP pump?

Seems the bearings themselves are not expensive, however, I do not have the proper tools, so I think I would have to find a repair place if I were to go that route.

Solar would not likely require a 2hp. I run my solar with the 1 hp in my signature on high speed ... low would not prime the system and the heating its better on high speed.

How far would the run to the roof be and is it 1 or 2 stories?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If I went solar I would probably have to put the panels near the pool, the roof is just too far away, probably 75 feet from the pump's current location to the edge of the house, maybe more, plus 2 stories. Here is a picture, facing East (house is at my back). I think the only place would be, from this view, along the right side of the pool by the bird house. Problem is the skimmer, pump, and filter on the left near those stairs. Are the panels typically put in the return line?

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 45
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.