Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Pillow deflated

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Pillow deflated

Im new here and new pool owner, i am in NY and my cover for my above ground pool will not stay on, i am in a wide open area and have tried it all. I am considering just giving up on the cover, my question is should i leave the air pillow in or not?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air Pillow deflated

Quote Originally Posted by bobby22
    Im new here and new pool owner, i am in NY and my cover for my above ground pool will not stay on, i am in a wide open area and have tried it all. I am considering just giving up on the cover, my question is should i leave the air pillow in or not?

You really need to cover the pool, or you are going to have a royal mess when you open in the spring.

What are you currently using to hold the cover on the pool?

1) The cover needs to the be the correct size for the pool
    2) The cover does not get pulled taught like a drum, it rests (floats) on the pool water where it can.
    3) You can fasten it with a wire with a ratchet. The wire goes in the grommets around the edge. If your cover has grommets that are not equally spaced, the wire goes on the outside of the cover between the grommets that are far apart, and under the cover between the close together grommets.
    4) You can also hang water bags or old bleach bottles full of water from the grommets to hold down the cover.

To answer your original question. If you insist on leaving the cover off, you might as well leave the pillow in if you can. If the surface freezes solid, it with help prevent the walls from pushing outward.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Air Pillow deflated

This is our first year with our new pool and having to cover it...we opted to not use an air pillow this year, see how it goes, and we used the pool shrink wrap (an entire roll) around the top of the cover. We have been getting some wicked winds lately and the cover is holding good...I think it's all in the shrink wrap, keeps the air out from underneath.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!