Solar heating return locations

I am in the process of installing a steel framed liner pool (inground) and the supplier (rainwater tank builder) has asked me where they need to cut out my returns and skimmer box. The pool is a rectangular pool 6.0m in length and 3.5m in width with a depth of 1.2m. We are having a walk in step at one end and I had anticipated that the skimmer box would go next to that with the two returns at the other end. This should pretty much give the best circulation I would think.

However - I also want to install a separate roof mounted solar heating setup (separate pump) and am not entirely sure where to place the take out point and returns. If anyone could offer some advice or a link covering solar heating plumbing that would be much appreciated.

As for the main skimmer and returns, Have them place a skimmer downwind of the prevailing wind direction and the returns so that they'll direct the water in a circular pattern past the skimmer around the long way.

Since you're going to have a completely separate system for solar I'd have them run an intake from the sidewall closest to the pad and return several meters from it down-current from it.

Thankyou.

That gives me something to think about. I live in an area that has no real wind to speak of and the pool is going in an area that will be well sheltered. I will pop up a picture of the layout after work that might help with suggestions. I'm guessing that the solar and the filtration would need to be running at the same time in your example to circulate the heated water.

Not necessarily. The solar will circulate the water by itself. If your direct the solar to flow in a circle as well that will help mix it.

The suggestion for the solar return downstream from the regular return would just ensure that when both are on, the warm water would mix well.

In a well circulated pool it doesn't make enough difference to matter where the solar suction is, or the solar discharge for that matter. It's going to get mixed into the bulk water and there won't be enough temperature gradient to matter.

So I have done up a quick (and crappy) paint shop piccy. If there is any wind it would probably blow from the stairs towards the skimmer. I'm thinking the solar intake could go near the skimmer and the return could go near the filtration return on the same wall as the skimmer.

poolm.jpg

Remember what was advised earlier was to circulate to the skimmer the long way round - in this case counterclockwise. I may have misunderstood where you planned you solar return relative to solar suction but it appeared that the solar return was on the short wall not far from the suction and upstream of it - which would not seem ideal.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Are the stairs in a cove?

If so you may want to direct the return on the side more into that area to prevent it from becoming stagnant. Maybe move that return more to the middle of the side and pointed towards the stairs some. That would give a nice CW rotation of the water.

Maybe others have additional thoughts?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.