Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster before concrete deck??

1. Back To Top    #1

New Jersey

Plaster before concrete deck??

Planning to post my build, but have not yet. Appreciate all the wisdom.

In short, I have a gunite pool under construction, going well. Ready for concrete deck to be installed, but will not be done for another week. PB is planning to plaster tomorrow (grey quartz product), before concretre deck is poured!!!

I'm told the concrete guy will be careful to not get dirt, etc in pool. It seems the pool will be full of water by the time he comes to prep and pour.

Does this seem reasonable?? I know it is getting colder (Southern New Jersey) and am going to need time to get salt and chemistry up to speed before closing for winter, so I can understand wanting to plaster sooner than later, but not at the expense of causing a problem.

Pool builder said this should be fine. I questioned, but don't have any reall ammo with which to hold them up. Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.
    35,000 gal IG w/ spa completed Oct 2012, grey quartz plaster, SWG (nature2 - no minerals), Jandy cartridge filter, Heater, Polaris 280 w/ booster

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, California

Re: Plaster before concrete deck??

As long as the concrete guy is competent it shouldn't be an issue. Also...

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wayne, PA

Wrong order, deck should be poured before plaster. Concrete guy could be competent but everyone makes mistakes.
    26,000 gallon gunite IGP with 50 sq ft Spa, Jandy VS FloPro 2hp Pump, Jandy DEV48 Filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 Controller, RayPak R406A Heater, Polaris 380 Cleaner, completed April 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Yeah, I would suggest concrete first.

Even better, if you have a lot of backfill would be concrete in the early
    Spring and then plaster........ giving your backfill an opportunity to compact itself. Don't know if that's practical in your situation, tho.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

New Caney, TX 77357

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunky
    Wrong order, deck should be poured before plaster. Concrete guy could be competent but everyone makes mistakes.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.