How to keep prime when cleaning basket?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
When we first had our pool built, the builder showed me to 'lock in the prime' when turning the pump off to clean the basket. I would turn the valve so that the 'off' portion of the handle was facing the pump. Anyhow, I've noticed lately that this no longer works and when I open the top of the basket, I hear all the water flush back. When I restart the pump it take about 2 minutes to refill and be back to normal. Is there some way to correct this and does it damage the pump, even though it says 'self priming'?

It really doesn't damage the pump, but if you have a valve on the suction of the pump (it sounds like you do) you might as well use it.

Since it sounds like you've been closing the valve to hold the water in the piping, but now it's leaking and not holding the water in the line. depending on what valve it is, it may be possible to rebuild it. That's where I'd start.

Bama Rambler said:
It really doesn't damage the pump, but if you have a valve on the suction of the pump (it sounds like you do) you might as well use it.

Since it sounds like you've been closing the valve to hold the water in the piping, but now it's leaking and not holding the water in the line. depending on what valve it is, it may be possible to rebuild it. That's where I'd start.

It's the same valve that I use to switch between the skimmer and auto clean. Those settings work fine if that matters. What does it mean to run the pump when it's dry then?

Running the pump dry for an extended period of time will damage the pump, no doubt, but they're designed to run for a few minutes once they've been primed once. When you open the pump basket not all the water in the pump housing runs out so there's enough in there for cooling and lubrication for a few minutes.

Can you post a picture of that valve?

OK, old post but I just want to make sure I have this process correct.

My pump is about 6" or so above water level...so of course when I open the basket to clean the strainer we know what happens. It took 2-3 minutes to "re-prime", not sure I love the idea of the pump running semi-try for that long, understand though they are made for that...BUT I have a bit of OCD so....

Now that I found this post...I assume this is my new procedure.

1) shut off pump
2) close all 3 incoming water lines (main drain 1, main drain 2 and skimmer)
3) open basket and clean
4) close and seal basket
5) open incoming lines back up
6) start pump

The only valve I seem to have is the one at the pump that switches between auto clean and skim. Half way is the pump where I would leave it during basket cleaning festivities. I have filled the basket back up just like the post above and as soon as the pump is turned on, that water is sucked out and the 2-3 minute priming process begins. I should say when I open the valve and put it back to skimmer, some water does run out into the pump basket. If it's not damaging the pump, I'm okay with it though.

So I wanted to report what step I added and my pump primed nearly instantly.

I closed not only all three suction sides, but all I closed the multi valve on the filter (of course after the pump was off)

Open the basket - cleaned it out, put back on...opened all valves and WHAM a few bubbles and full prime in less than 10 seconds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.