Skimmer Closing

Jun 12, 2011
Michigan
My skimmer has two holes in the bottom. One that has the plumbing hooked up that goes to the pump. In that one I put a gizmo in it for the winter. The second hole is not used. For this hole, should I leave it unplugged to allow the water to drain out of it over the winter, or should I keep it plugged and put some anti-freeze in it. I have dropped the water level about 3 inches below the skimmer.

Maybe take a picture. If this was an inground pool the second hole is usually not hooked to anything but I wouldn't leave it open as no to wash away any backfill. I don't see to many AG skimmers with a second hole. If the skimmer is buried I wouldn't let water drain through the skimmer.

That second hole is most likely capped under the bottom if you don't have a main drain. It's a common practice to cap it under the bottom rather than plug it. I highly doubt that any water is going to drain out of it.

If you don't have a MD, just pour a little antifreeze in it to displace the water and you'll be good to go.

thanks, I'll keep it plugged. the only reason I asked was because I was watching a youtube video of a pool company closing an inground vinyl pool, and they recommended keeping it open for the winter to allow water to drain out of the skimmer. I did not do that last year and did not have any problems, although it was a mild winter. Mine was capped underneath, I installed the plumbing myself and yes it does not connect to anything. I am in the process of adding some extra support for the skimmer so it would be easy to uncap it from underneath and leave it open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.