Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Closing

My skimmer has two holes in the bottom. One that has the plumbing hooked up that goes to the pump. In that one I put a gizmo in it for the winter. The second hole is not used. For this hole, should I leave it unplugged to allow the water to drain out of it over the winter, or should I keep it plugged and put some anti-freeze in it. I have dropped the water level about 3 inches below the skimmer.
    24' x 52" round Radiant Metric GT, Fully Buried.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer Closing

Maybe take a picture. If this was an inground pool the second hole is usually not hooked to anything but I wouldn't leave it open as no to wash away any backfill. I don't see to many AG skimmers with a second hole. If the skimmer is buried I wouldn't let water drain through the skimmer.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

That second hole is most likely capped under the bottom if you don't have a main drain. It's a common practice to cap it under the bottom rather than plug it. I highly doubt that any water is going to drain out of it.

If you don't have a MD, just pour a little antifreeze in it to displace the water and you'll be good to go.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks, I'll keep it plugged. the only reason I asked was because I was watching a youtube video of a pool company closing an inground vinyl pool, and they recommended keeping it open for the winter to allow water to drain out of the skimmer. I did not do that last year and did not have any problems, although it was a mild winter. Mine was capped underneath, I installed the plumbing myself and yes it does not connect to anything. I am in the process of adding some extra support for the skimmer so it would be easy to uncap it from underneath and leave it open.
    24' x 52" round Radiant Metric GT, Fully Buried.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just out of curiosity, what is the second hole for? Our IG has these too, and they are plugged with screwins, but we do have a main drain.
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot
    near the pool: Cookshack Smokette, Akorn Kamado grill, putting green
    in the shed: Deere greens mower, Simplicity FC-16 front cut mower

6. Back To Top    #6

It's used for either an equalizer line or to connect the MD to the bottom of the skimmer. In a lot of cases it's not used at all. In your case, I suspect the MD line is ran all the way back to the pad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Dave - You guessed it. Thanx for the info.
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot
    near the pool: Cookshack Smokette, Akorn Kamado grill, putting green
    in the shed: Deere greens mower, Simplicity FC-16 front cut mower