Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that use bleach bottles to keep the cover down

1. Back To Top    #1

For those that use bleach bottles to keep the cover down

How much do you find you need to fill them to keep the cover down while not tearing the grommets out?? Also if anyone has some pictures of how they did theirs I would greatly appreciate it if they could post them.

Thanks in advance
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For those that use bleach bottles to keep the cover down

I used bottles last year and went about 1/3 full. I tied a rope through the handle and used old bungie cord hooks on the ropes to hook to the grommet. I've also been using a cable/winch setup and clips. All to try and keep the wind from getting under to no avail. For me the water jugs help to get the pool cover on and situated but do nothing to stop the wind from getting under there. This year I'm going to try just the cable/winch and then some Pool Winter Cover Seal Wrap. Hopefully that wrap will keep the wind out.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

I filled mine about half full. Here is a picture that shows one of the jugs. I have 30 hanging around the pool.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    I used bottles last year and went about 1/3 full. I tied a rope through the handle and used old bungie cord hooks on the ropes to hook to the grommet. I've also been using a cable/winch setup and clips. All to try and keep the wind from getting under to no avail. For me the water jugs help to get the pool cover on and situated but do nothing to stop the wind from getting under there. This year I'm going to try just the cable/winch and then some Pool Winter Cover Seal Wrap. Hopefully that wrap will keep the wind out.

My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wrap. It has already come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl
    My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wKalready come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.
    OK I have to ask, what is an "I stalker"?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

What about putting a weight of some sort in the center of the cover? This will reduce the flapping to just the edges where the jugs are. This way the wind won't be able to get enough lift to pull the cover off.
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

7. Back To Top    #7

Radical idea... Go to the moving or storage place of your choice and get a couple of the plastic wrap spools and wrap the edge of the pool keeping the wind out.

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I fill the jugs about 3/4ths full and haven't had them tear the grommets out. However, our average wind here is barely a breeze compared to some places. If I thought wind was a problem I'd add some water on top of the cover to hold it down.

I attach the jugs to the cover with the small ball ended bungies.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Here sustained winds can be 45-50mph, gusts up to 65/70mph, they make the house shake and it's fairly new construction, built on a solid sheet of bedrock lava flow.
    Those aren't records either. HAHA

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah I think I'm in trouble here, I'm waiting for my bungees to arrive but the little wind we have now is already getting under the cover and pulling out the parts I've tucked under the top rail. We have some really windy nights through the winter and I really don't want to walk three streets over to find my cover. I have 4x8 foot pillow under the cover but I'm not sure if that is staying there or not. I feel and correct me if Im wrong the more of the cover I can get in contact with the water the better off I will be.

Thanks again for all the replies
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

We are borrowing this idea from friends who use it all the time and haven't had a problem. You fill bleach/milk jugs and place them all around the outside of the pool on the ground. Then, you tie rope to one jug, then cross that rope completely over the top of the pool to the opposite side, and tie the other end to a jug on that side. And you do this with multiple ropes crossing to the opposite side. The ropes then hold the cover down. Think of a pizza and you slice from one side to the other, making many slices. Each 'slice' mark represents rope crossing over the pool attaching to a jug on the other side. Hope this is clear! This will be our first year trying it...
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

12. Back To Top    #12

Fantastic idea spf, thanks for posting this. Anything that I can do to keep my water clean throughout the winter is worth trying

Are you planning on using a pillow?
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

13. Back To Top    #13

My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wrap. It has already come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.
    I would still use the cable I have to cinch it down. I need a way to keep the wind out. I ordered some wrap so we'll see how well it works.
    Mike

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by tick221
    I feel and correct me if Im wrong the more of the cover I can get in contact with the water the better off I will be.
    If it's in a windy area it won't help any. Mine sits on the water and can have 2 inches of water on top. The wind blows hard enough that all the water on top gets pushed to the other end and stays there. I assume it just equalizes with the water underneath. Makes siphoning the water off the cover easier though.
    Mike

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    My neighbor had the I stalker winterized. They didn't use jugs, only the cover seal wKalready come off, and I suspect their cover will be sailing thru the air by next week.

It's a victim of auto correct, lol. Supposed to say installer winterize. Their cover is very close to coming off, and it was just put on 2 weeks ago.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    It's a victim of auto correct, lol. Supposed to say installer winterize. Their cover is very close to coming off, and it was just put on 2 weeks ago.
    LOL, stupid auto correct. HAHA
    I knew it had to be a typo faux pas, just couldn't make it out.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by spf30
    We are borrowing this idea from friends who use it all the time and haven't had a problem. You fill bleach/milk jugs and place them all around the outside of the pool on the ground. Then, you tie rope to one jug, then cross that rope completely over the top of the pool to the opposite side, and tie the other end to a jug on that side. And you do this with multiple ropes crossing to the opposite side. The ropes then hold the cover down. Think of a pizza and you slice from one side to the other, making many slices. Each 'slice' mark represents rope crossing over the pool attaching to a jug on the other side. Hope this is clear! This will be our first year trying it...

If you are sitting them on the ground, why not just put in some tent stakes? You could even put tent stakes in the ground, and then just cover them with landscape gravel. When it comes time to close, expose the tops of the stakes, and loop rope all around the outside of the pool. Through a grommet, to a stake, up to the next grommet, down to the next stake, up the the next grommet, etc.

Heck, if you live in one of those areas that gets crazy wind, you could even design this when you install the ABG by looping a strap around each paver block that goes under the legs, and having an eye ring hooked to the strap. That way, for the cover to come off, the wind would have to either rip out the grommets, break the hold down rope, or flip the pool over (and if your wind does that, well than I suggest you say goodbye to Dorothy and Toto and move out of Kansas)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

18. Back To Top    #18

First year AGP owner. Wind is absolutely horrible at our place. I joke there is 365 days a year, and it must be windy 320 of them at our home. Winter can be brutely windy.
    I'm going with multiple pronged attack.
    Water on cover, wire with ratched tire downs threw grommets on liner, clorox bottles 3/4 full hanging from grommets, and a pizza pie sliced look clothes line held in place by tent stakes at opposing ends of the pool.
    If I could find a big enough spider web design bungee/clothes line cord cover for a 24' pool, I'd use it to hold down the cover. Actually thinking of trying to make one if I make it through our first winter.

Any other ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.
    24x54 Sharkline Matrix
    Hayward 1 hp Powermax single speed pump
    Hayward ec50ac DE filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Fishing net?

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave
    ....or flip the pool over (and if your wind does that, well than I suggest you say goodbye to Dorothy and Toto and move out of Kansas)

-dave
    Dave,
    I must say, I had a reaaaallllllyyyy goood laugh on this one. HAHA!! Love it.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast