Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking down an intex with through the wall skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking down an intex with through the wall skimmer

Thanks everyone for helping me have a wonderfull swim season! I've added a through the wall skimmer to my intex and need to know if I should leave it attatched when I take it down, or take it off? If I take it off will the liner shrink or stretch and holes not line up again? Thanks!
    5,000 gal above ground pool summer escapes pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taking down an intex with through the wall skimmer

Hmmm, I guess I'll just leave it on.

3. Back To Top    #3

i had same issue and in the face of no input here i opted to take it off. we can compare notes in the spring to see if either of us have issues.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

sounds like a good plan. I'll leave mine on. Remind me in the spring how yours turned out because I won't remimber.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ooh, I thought you were saying you already took the pool down and had chosen to leave it on. If you haven't decided yet, don't leave it on just for my little experiment. I'll post back in the Spring and report how it goes to re-install - but I have no clue which way we should have gone. Good luck.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Putting the pool back up today. Last year at closing we took the skimmer off. Now wondering if we should put it back on prior to or after partial filling? Anyone have any experience either way to share?

7. Back To Top    #7

If it were my pool, I'd start filling it and as the water rises up to the skimmer cut out, I'd reinstall. My thinking is, the water would make the walls of the Intex firmer as water pushes out on it than it not having any water in it. Let us know how it goes for you!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I put it on pre-fill, but after it was set up. Was afraid filling it would stretch the rectangular cut out and i wouldn't be able to get screws in original holes. Seems to be okay but won't know it it is water-tight for about 15 hours i'm guessing. Watching this thing fill is about as fast-paced as watching
    paint dry.

9. Back To Top    #9

So any update? I too am going to install a skimmer and will need to remove it when I tear down the pool at the end of the summer. Anybody have some experience with this?
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

10. Back To Top    #10

I took mine off last year. This year I put it back on with the pool erected but no water. Went back into the original holes with no problem at all. No leaks, no issues. But, I'm wondering if taking them out/putting them in too often will stretch the holes -- so this year I'm planning to leave the skimmer on unless my husband convinces me it is to hard to cram it into the trash can for storage that way.

11. Back To Top    #11

To clarify, when I originally installed the skimmer (requiring the liner to be cut), I followed advice I read here - which was to fill the pool to a bit under the height you want to put the skimmer. The thinking was the liner would have more support or resistance and it would work better. It worked well. No experience with doing an initial install/liner cut with the pool empty.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the quick update!

My pool is already full, so I too will drain it down a little below the skimmer location and plunge the knife in

Glad to hear you didn't have any trouble getting the skimmer back on OK. I would be worried about folding up the pool with it attached. It just seems like trouble.

Thanks again for the update!

Jim
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

13. Back To Top    #13

I just put up a pool with the in wall skimmer. The instructions were to install the skimmer before adding water.

I will be drilling a hole in my skimmer to allow rainwater to drain off as needed, been getting some serious overfill here due to rains.