Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Steps (In-ground) Do you need them

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Steps (In-ground) Do you need them

We are installing an in-ground pool with connected spa. Are steps required to enter the spa or can you just step on the spa bench to step down into the spa? What is your opinion/experience?
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Steps (In-ground) Do you need them

While we don't have a "step" in our spa we do have a raised seating section. It's 4" higher than the rest of the seating area. Most people enter and exit at this spot. Is your spa raised or level with the pool. Ours is raised 18" above the pool. To enter most people just step up the 18" and down into the raised seat. Some people just sit on the 18" raised coping and swing their legs over and into the spa.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Our Spa design is nearly level with the pool water level (spa overflow is only 3" higher than the pool water level). Was the higher seat intended to be a step or just to be a shallow seat? We are also installing a semi-circle bench/seat on the outside of the spa that is in the pool area for seating (your back will be against the spa wall).
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

4. Back To Top    #4

You probably don't want to step down more than 8" to get in the spa. We all age and the body does not work the same as the younger days, I'm only 45 and my knees are already giving me major problems. I have an entry step in my spa but I wish it had two before the sitting area.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

You need steps. That first one is awful deep otherwise, and you really don't want people slipping. The edges are a lot closer to your head than they are in a large pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

You need steps and a hand rail.

Well, you might not need them today, but tomorrow's coming. I first noticed I needed a hand rail when my 80ish MIL had trouble getting out of the pool. Last summer, I had knee trouble and I realized rails would be handy for both walking in and out. And, I'm decades away from being 80....

Just my $0.02.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree, go for steps and a handrail. Safety is important.