Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Closing Chlorine Level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Closing Chlorine Level?

Okay, I've read the Closing an Inground Pool thread several times and don't understand something. I plan on raising the FC to shock level about 1 week prior to closing and keeping it there for 3 days. After that, I will let it drift back down. The day before closing, I will add polyquat 60 and let circulate for 24 hours. My question is on the day of closing should I test the FC level and bring it back up to shock or somewhere in the middle? I have read that the Polyquat 60 uses up a good deal of the FC and am wondering what my actual FC level should be when closing.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Closing Chlorine Level?

Close at shock level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by poolneophyte
    Okay, I've read the Closing an Inground Pool thread several times and don't understand something. I plan on raising the FC to shock level about 1 week prior to closing and keeping it there for 3 days. After that, I will let it drift back down. The day before closing, I will add polyquat 60 and let circulate for 24 hours. My question is on the day of closing should I test the FC level and bring it back up to shock or somewhere in the middle? I have read that the Polyquat 60 uses up a good deal of the FC and am wondering what my actual FC level should be when closing.
    My understanding is that FC eats polyquat which implies that adding FC after the polyquat would make the polyquat vanish more quickly. I don't think you are expected to raise FC to shock after adding the polyquat.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    My understanding is that FC eats polyquat which implies that adding FC after the polyquat would make the polyquat vanish more quickly. I don't think you are expected to raise FC to shock after adding the polyquat.
    Therein lies my confusion! I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to waste the Polyquat 60 that I just added the day before.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Therein lies my confusion! I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to waste the Polyquat 60 that I just added the day before.
    I think it's pretty clear that Buckman Labs thinks you should not raise the FC back up:
    i-am-a-stranger-at-the-pool-store-t8609.html#p71181

It's also pretty clear that Polyquat may not make it the entire winter:
    post76410.html

I'm not really all that clear why we want to use it - I'm also considering it - but now I'm questioning myself.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I raise to shock level (slightly above) and let it circulate for about 12-18hrs then close it. No algaecide.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]