Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: preventing rust

1. Back To Top    #1
    Katy, TX

preventing rust

Below is an image of the float valve assembly in my autofill. As you can see, rust is beginning to form at the joint of the float arm and the valve. This happens to be my second assembly installed since my pool was built in July of last year. This particular one was installed only three weeks ago. Is there any way to prevent this other than replacing these parts with either higher quality stainless or nylon parts, such as applying some sort of lubricant (silicone, vaseline, etc.)?

I might add that my chemistry has been excellent since pool install (checked regularly)

FC 3-5
    CC 0
    pH 7.2-7.8
    TA 70-90
    CH 300
    CYA 60-80
    salt 3000-3500

11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Sahuarita, AZ
    Hmm, thanks for the heads up... I had some non-stainless screws on some fixtures that the PB had to replace due to rust... I didn't check the auto-fill... I'll take a look at mine but am eager to hear the answer.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.