Waiting for 60

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm in East Tennessee (knoxville area) and am waiting on the temperature of the pool water to drop to below 60 degrees before closing(leaves permitting!) and planning on an early opening before 60 comes again. It is looking like the first or second week of November before the water temperature gets to 60 or below(64 degrees today). With an early opening that should give me approx. 3.5 to 4 months closed. I was wondering if anyone in E.TN. let their pools run year around even though we get extended cold weather in late winter?? Wife said she would enjoy seeing sparking water versus green mess for the winter months!!

joel0711:

I'm not in E Tenn, but weather.com says that Knoxville averages about 4-5°F cooler than DFW, TX and I keep my pool operational year-round as do most folks here. Regardless of what you decide to do, I would search for and note any drain plugs in your system now while the weather is still nice. There should be a drain plug on your pump, filter, and heater (if equipped) at a minimum. The biggest risk of leaving the pool operational year-round is an extended power outage during a period of sub-freezing temps. Knowing where these drain plugs are now will enable you to drain water from components where water is likely to freeze first and cause damage. You could also wrap exposed plumbing for greater protection.

Biggest benefit of leaving pool operational year-round and keeping it adequately maintained is that the spring opening is a non-event. While many of your neighbors are dealing with the opening process and associated clean-up, you can jump right in and enjoy the pool as soon as water temps permit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.