LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So here's the situation: We are in the process of having our Fiberglass Pool reconstructed due to some serious Cracks in the Gunite that were not repaired properly by previous owner. Those cracks expanded over time until just a week ago cracked the Fiberglass to a depth of 7 feet! So we've had the fibergalss stipped and the cracks properly "stapled" to prevent further expansion, and of course new Fiberglass, coping, and water tiles. (yes, KA-CHING !)

Anyway, as part of this projecty we're upgrading some things to include a new Dual Drain (back to the Skimmer/Filter system), larger Skimmer, and Overflow, and a Vacuum 'port' at the Skimmer. We've reduce the deep end from 10' to 8' and now have more of a "sports court" section by leveling 20' of the 40' length to about 5'. (Pool is 16x40). The slope from 5' to 8' is now much less of a slope. I'm guestimating it to now be about 30,000 gals vs the 40k we had before with the deeper end and steeper slope.

My question is now about the current Pump & Filter we have. The contractor is telling us that given we've reduced the amount of water in the pool, that the current system should be fine. Which is: Pentair Whisperflow 1/2 HP, Model WFE-2 \ 011511 3450RPM. The Pool sweep is a 3//4 HP pump @ 3450 RPM. The Filter is a 2-cartridge Filter.

We didn't have a working main drain before, nor a vacuum attachment ... Does anyone see any possible issue with the new configuration as it pertains to the pumping & filtration system? We'd like to save the $$ for a future upgrade when the current one fails if possible. What would YOU do ???

Thanks

The WFE-2 should turn the pool over in less than 8 hrs so I don't think the WFE-2 pump is a problem at all.

But just one suggestion if they haven't started work already, I would skip the main drain, it is a big expense without much of a benefit. It is far better to have most of the suction coming from the skimmers to remove debris. If you want better low circulation, you are better off with lower returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.