American Products Predator (Pentair Clean and Clear?) Q's

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
OK, drove 30 miles to see what was described as a Clean and Clear 200. It is actually an American Products Predator 200. After that drive, I just bought the thing. Cartridge is clean.
I now have an oddball filter to go with the oddball pump.

It does look like a cheapo version - but Pentair no longer uses the name, for whatever reason - were they that bad?

A couple of questions:

I'm assuming the little hex plug (1/4" pipe threads) on top is supposed to be a real bleed valve - correct?

I finally thought to look for a C&C Manual - a search for "American Products" brought nil.

The pressure gauge has arrows indicating "open", with plastic tabs on either side. At first I thought it was a bizarre bleed valve, but nothing turns. What is the "open" about? This looks like some bizarre meld of the valve and gauge - but it doesn't turn whatever I do to the "Locking Tabs"
Which probably explains why the plug is well wrapped in teflon and only finger tight (or the dealer plundered the valve and stuck in the plug).

Pics always help:
Predator200Top.jpg

The outrageously expensive plastic "cap" on the filter (the one with the tube/socket on it) is stuck, and I forgot to mark an index, so getting it back together is going to be a chore. From the "align this arrow" instructions, I'm guessing this is supposed to be inserted into the cartridge AFTER the cart is in the body. Correct?
Any ideas on how to remove it? How fragile is it? Could it be driven out with a 2x4 with rags on the end to match the curvature?

The instructions actuall say to lift the cart by the plastic cap, remove the cap for cleaning, and then re-assemble BEFORE re-installing the cart.
Does anyone do this? How do you line up the tube and socket? I tried placing the arrow so it pointed in the same direction as the tube, but got nowhere.

Any experience in cutting the top of a cartridge - "m guessing that a radial cut completely through it (the easy way to extract the part) would destroy the cart.

any help greatly appreciated.

Re: American Products Predator (Pentair Clean and Clear?) Q'

Dave, the plastic widget into which the pressure gauge is inserted is a relief or bleeder valve. Rotate it counterclockwise and it opens, releasing air through the opening shown on the left of your picture. Rotate clockwise to close. Might be seized up.

Here is a link to a parts diagram for Clean and Clears...it might explain some of you other questions:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/partslists/filters-cartridge-clean-clear-plus-filters-28.htm

Re: American Products Predator (Pentair Clean and Clear?) Q'

Thanks!

After getting pre-occupied with the "Locking Tabs", I finally figured out how to ignore them and just treat it as a valve with a growth on top.

The question of how to remove and re-align the tubes remain - for those with Clean and Clear filters with the cap on the cartridge:

How do you know when the tube is aligned with the socket? The seller demonstrated, but it was late and I didn't try it with him to correct me.

Thanks again, Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.