Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I open floor drains?

1. Back To Top    #1

Longview, Texas

How do I open floor drains?

I am new to the forum and I don't know if I am posting in the correct place, but I need help. Algae has taken over, and after reading your article on turning my green swamp blue, I know that my CYA is far too high (117!!) It is eating chlorine by the hundreds of dollars. On your advice, I have set out to drain some of the water and refill with fresh water. The pool is 11 years old, inground and plaster. My problem at the moment is how to open the floor drains now that the hot tub is empty and the water is below the skimmer line. I have a Jandy valve in front of the pump and a manual valve to the side of it. The person who put in the equipment told me to just turn these two to different positions until the skimmers stopped pulling water and the hot tub drains stop and then the floor drains would kick in. I have tried every direction the valves will go, and I am at a loss. No water is draining and the pump is trying to pull like crazy. Sure could use some advice. No one here seems to know what to tell me. I can't begin to work on the water until I can lower the CYA. Thanks for any help!
    35,000 gal/cartridge filter/ inground/plaster/11 year old pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: How do I open floor drains?

Pictures would help, in the mean time you could just use a utility pump to remove some water.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    Grand Rapids, MI

Re: How do I open floor drains?

My spa is not connected, but I have two lines -- skimmer and drain (plus a sump).
    I expect to close the skimmer, you'd turn the valve to the right, and to open the main drain, you'd turn that valve to the left. However, if your drain is clogged, just use an aux pump as Kevin suggested.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains