Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about polyquat 60

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about polyquat 60

We are getting ready to close our inground pool. We have Swimtrine Plus algaecide. Is it okay to use this as an alternative to polyquat 60?
    13x23 ProSeries AG Pool
    SandPro .5Hp Filter System
    AquaPro Pro 500 50k Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Question about polyquat 60

what is written on the label? If it's not poly 60, it is probably safe to assume it is not as good.

Poly 60 seems to be about the best.....some folks simply elevate to shock levels of chlorine and do not use algaecide. I do not cloes so have no educated opinion either way.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

....and definitely don't use it to close if it contains copper.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

New Jersey

Oh, yeah, it's copper:

Applied Biochemists Swimtrine Plus Green and Mustard Algea Killer 406103 Swimtrine Plus is a highly concentrated copper based algaecide especially designed to kill mustard and green algae. When used regularly, it also prevents the regrowth of all types of algae. Swimtrine Plus contains 9.3% active copper content - making it Americas most concentrated fast-acting algaecide. Features: Triple chelated copper formula stays active and provides algae control between treatments
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

The active ingredient for a Polyquat-based algaecide is: poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. Look for a 60% concentration of that ingredient.

The use of algaecide when closing a pool is a justifiable use of that product, but I would not recommend using a copper-based algaecide. Would encourage you to go with Polyquat 60.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.