Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid-Loving Pool Closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid-Loving Pool Closing

Our pool, opened at the beginning of this year, has been using about 128 oz. of muriatic acid every week in order to keep the pH in check.

We are closing and covering our pool next week, with everything being winterized. I'm wondering if I need to continue checking the pH while its closed...and, if so, how I would add acid to the pool with no pump running to circulate it?
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid-Loving Pool Closing

I looked over some of your previous posts and I'm assuming that your high pH is due to your SWG and your bubblers on the tanning ledge. Is that correct or do you have issues with your fill water or something else?

I would say that if your TA is in check then you shouldn't have any problems once you adjust the pH to 7.4, cover it and shut the filter off. The aeration is a moot issue once everything is shut down.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

UN...thanks for the advice. I don't think it's the fill water, as that measured fine when I last checked. The bubblers are only run occasionally when the little ones are in the pool. The SWG has been running all season, though.

I will make sure to measure the TA before closing. (It's been fine all year...I'm told it's normal for new plaster pools to demand a lot of acid in the first year or two).

Hopefully, the acid demand will drop off significantly as the water gets colder and the pool's covered.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

I will caution you to check it a few times over the winter.
    I suffered the same thing- new pool just loves Acid every week, but ignored it over the winter. Come spring opening, I had scaling. Real rough sandpaper.
    Check it or cross your fingers

diamondbrite-surface-much-rougher-this-year-t44951.html
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice, Gsx...I guess, if it needs acid over the winter, I can try to circulate some water around the pool with the brush and/or the leaf rake.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn
    Thanks for the advice, Gsx...I guess, if it needs acid over the winter, I can try to circulate some water around the pool with the brush and/or the leaf rake.
    If you get a wall whale, just a few passes will have the water churning.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!